First try at Wings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nekramp

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 30, 2011
Brentford, SD
I have smoked something every weekend all summer and this past week it dawned on me that i have never smoked wings! And I LOVE wings.  So i bought some Tyson wings at wally world and gave it a try.  I injected each wing with Franks Red Hot and covered them in McCormicks Grill Mates chicken rub, than into the smoker at 290 for 2 1/2 Hours.

The wings were amazing, some of the best that i have ever had.  They were a little on the dry side so next time i'll take them off a few minutes sooner. But man o man they were good.  Wish i would have gotten more pictures but i was too busy eating!

Reactions: 25mike87
I loves me some wings! Especially with Franks on the inside instead of the outside!!! Those 3 that are left look Awesome!!!! I hope there were a lot more!

those are some good looking wings, the franks injection sounds amazing!!! so did you just go straight on the grate for smoking, also did you take a internal temp. sorry about the questions yours look so good I am probably going to buying some wings real soon thanks.

Mike,

I thawed the wings out in some cold water in a ziplock bag for a hour or so than they went straight to the grate where i injected them and put the seasoning on them.  I did not take an internal temp, i could tell when i touched them that they were a little dry inside so i knew they were done.  Also cooking them at 290ish got the skin nice and crispy!

Mike,

I thawed the wings out in some cold water in a ziplock bag for a hour or so than they went straight to the grate where i injected them and put the seasoning on them.  I did not take an internal temp, i could tell when i touched them that they were a little dry inside so i knew they were done.  Also cooking them at 290ish got the skin nice and crispy!
If they were a little dry, try mixing the Franks with some creole butter next time. I mix about 1/3 creole butter to 2/3 Franks (or whatever hot sauce I'm in the mood for) and they always come out very juicy.

icon_cool.gif

Now I love me some smoked wings. Now I also like the Franks part here too.

If they were a little dry, try mixing the Franks with some creole butter next time. I mix about 1/3 creole butter to 2/3 Franks (or whatever hot sauce I'm in the mood for) and they always come out very juicy.
I can vouch for this recipe - just did 4 dozen at the So Cal Gathering and they were gone fast

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky