First time smoking tri tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Shaunlap

Original poster
Apr 28, 2020
Alberta
Hey everyone, i plan to smoke up a tri tip for the first time tommorow and was wondering if anyone had some tips or maybe seasoning mixes they like for this cut of meat. Thanks

Classic Tri-Tip Santa Maria style calls for 2 Tbs garlic powder, 1 Tbs Kosher salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper. When I smoke them (usually 2.5-3 lbs) I normally do a reverse sear. Smoke at 225º until IT is approx 126º-128º (approx 2 hrs). Remove to a warm place and rest for 10 min while grill is heating up. This retards the interior from continuing to cook. Then place on a very hot grill for 2-3 min per side. Remove and rest 10-15 before slicing.

This cut has uneven thickness so it can be a bit tricky to not overcook the thinner sections when searing. Best to have a direct & indirect side setup on your grill so you can position the cut to somewhat compensate. Of course, nothing wrong with continuing to smoke until your desired internal doneness. We prefer a warm pink (not red) version so we pull it at 138º then rest it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaunlap
Mont. Steak Seasoning works nicely, as does SPOG in a 2-2-1-1 ratio. There's a ton of beef flavor in Tri Tip that gets lost when over-seasoned, over-marinated, or injected.
I agree , more and more I’ve just been using SPOG for good cuts of beef. Plan on doing cheeks for the first time next week and that’s my plan for them too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky