First Time Smoker!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sack1971

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
Grey Eagle, MN
Now that I have a dehydrator on my list, I am looking for a smoker. I'm open to charcoal, gas, whatever. Simply for home use. Can you folks steer me in the direction of brand or brands. One that is reliable and durable. Doing ribs, whole turkey, etc. Obviously this is a wide open question. But lets start with brand. Smoker that can handle cold weather of Minnesota.

Reactions: JLeonard
Also, what kind of protection do you have from the elements? Cold temps are one thing, cold temps with wind are different.

And just so I don't lose my enabler status... you can have more than one smoker! I only have 6... :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Now that I have a dehydrator on my list, I am looking for a smoker. I'm open to charcoal, gas, whatever. Simply for home use. Can you folks steer me in the direction of brand or brands. One that is reliable and durable. Doing ribs, whole turkey, etc. Obviously this is a wide open question. But lets start with brand. Smoker that can handle cold weather of Minnesota.
I was gifted a dehyber 8 layer dehydrator. Do a search on amazon for it. I love mine.

DEHYBER 8 Layer Food Dehydrator

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Welcome to SMF! It might help to know a bit more. There are stick burners, pellet, electric, charcoal and gas versions. Each have their pluses and minuses. Some require more attention than others. Are you a set it and forget it person or one who likes to tinker? Budget wise there is quite a range so what are you willing to spend? Generally you will most likely get replies based upon what each individual currently uses which is fine but at the end of the day what is important is how you want to approach smoking.

Reactions: 912smoker
Welcome to the forum Sack.

18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain. It is a great backyard cooker to learn on.
Also, as previously stated, you need a Weber kettle for preparing side dishes on while the ribs and butts are smoking. Again, welcome.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky