Kitchen Essentials - must haves for a better experience

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

philpom

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 16, 2023
Texas
I thought it would be fun to share what gadgets I consider essential for a kitchen to have for the best experience and results in a home kitchen. The things I couldn't be without. I also think it would be great to see what other folks feel are those essentials and why.

This is assuming you have the basics covered.

These are the gadgets I consider "must have". I'll list the brands I use but of course this will depend on each of us and many variables such as budget, preference, market availability etc.

• Stick blender (great for sauces, soups, and more)
  • Vacuum sealer (bulk food storage) Avid Armor chamber and American Harvest clamshell
  • Dehydrator (obvious) American Harvest
  • Sous Vide circulator (too many reasons to list) Anova
  • Cheap coffee grinder (grinding spices, herbs and the like)
  • Burr grinder (for coffee beans) Solo Fill
  • Blender (margaritas!) Ninja Ultima
  • Food processor - Ninja Ultima
  • Instant read thermometer - LavaTools
  • Pressure canner (food preservation) All American
  • Pressure cooker (The Wife j/k - set it and forget it. It makes yogurt!) - Instant Pot
  • Bread machine (only for making the dough, so easy and automagic) - Zojirushi
  • Stand mixer - Kitchen Aid and all of the attachments, so many things from meat grinder to ice cream
  • Food scale (using weight measurements is superior) Perfect Portions - will even show you the macros of the measured food
I think that's it, all the things I didn't know I couldn't live without until I owned it. They each give new capabilities to make the kitchen experience so much better. We prepare 3 meals a day 7 days a week most weeks of the year. We really enjoy cooking and these items help us expand our options and do a very wide variety of things in our kitchen. We typically shy away from single use devices, that's the only reason I don't own a waffle maker :emoji_laughing: although we do have a coffee grind.... priorities I guess.

What did I miss? What device or gadget could you not live without in your kitchen and why?

I thought it would be fun to share what gadgets I consider essential for a kitchen to have for the best experience and results in a home kitchen. The things I couldn't be without. I also think it would be great to see what other folks feel are those essentials and why.

This is assuming you have the basics covered.

These are the gadgets I consider "must have". I'll list the brands I use but of course this will depend on each of us and many variables such as budget, preference, market availability etc.

• Stick blender (great for sauces, soups, and more)
  • Vacuum sealer (bulk food storage) Avid Armor chamber and American Harvest clamshell
  • Dehydrator (obvious) American Harvest
  • Sous Vide circulator (too many reasons to list) Anova
  • Cheap coffee grinder (grinding spices, herbs and the like)
  • Burr grinder (for coffee beans) Solo Fill
  • Blender (margaritas!) Ninja Ultima
  • Food processor - Ninja Ultima
  • Instant read thermometer - LavaTools
  • Pressure canner (food preservation) All American
  • Pressure cooker (The Wife j/k - set it and forget it. It makes yogurt!) - Instant Pot
  • Bread machine (only for making the dough, so easy and automagic) - Zojirushi
  • Stand mixer - Kitchen Aid and all of the attachments, so many things from meat grinder to ice cream
  • Food scale (using weight measurements is superior) Perfect Portions - will even show you the macros of the measured food
I think that's it, all the things I didn't know I couldn't live without until I owned it. They each give new capabilities to make the kitchen experience so much better. We prepare 3 meals a day 7 days a week most weeks of the year. We really enjoy cooking and these items help us expand our options and do a very wide variety of things in our kitchen. We typically shy away from single use devices, that's the only reason I don't own a waffle maker :emoji_laughing: although we do have a coffee grind.... priorities I guess.

What did I miss? What device or gadget could you not live without in your kitchen and why?
French-ish maid/ housekeeper

I'm gonna call that list the basics .
Don't use my bread maker anymore . I mix dough normally every Sunday . So when I need it it's ready .
Don't own a pressure canner , but the rest of the stuff I have .
I'll add a meat grinder and a stuffer .
On the simple side of things ,,,, Rubber bands . Handy for many things .

Reactions: Timber II
Quality knives - ya basic. And thin cutting boards for all the little stuff and then throw in the dishwasher.
Meat grinder too……
I guess there’s a million more too but a vac sealer has to be there for the huntin man
Timber

Reactions: JLeonard
I have most of those and want the rest. Just no time to use them.
I'm stocking up for retirement. I trying to get what I can before I retire. might not be able to afford them after.
Nobody mentioned coffee maker, unless you consider that the basics. This house don't function without it. 2 pots a day plus at least 1 pot of tea. We keep an extra coffee maker around so there's no disruption in the flow of coffee when we wear the current one out.

I'm gonna jump in with an electric can opener, a pasta press / cutter and a drying rack..

20231020_210302.jpg

Reactions: chopsaw
Yup. Marcado Atlas 150. I just happened to pull it out and set it up before I came across this thread.
My daughter and I are gonna make a pasta dish tomorrow, my only hang up is she doesn't like tomato or shrimp..

I have two different slabs of marble for pastry making that can be added to the list. Both can be prechilled in the Fridge to help prevent the butter from melting. One 12" round marble for pie dough, and one 11"X21" for laminated dough.

Reactions: philpom and Steve H
I'll stick to basic "must haves"

Knives
Cutting boards
Thermoworks TimeStack (4 timers)
Paper Towels
Rubber Gloves
Pots & Pans

I have a boat load of stuff that doesn't fit in a "Must Have" list, but are very, very, nice to have when you need them (baking equip., equip. for dealing with meat, etc.).
Must Haves can be subjective.

Last edited:
Must haves?

1. Heat source
2. Pan
3. Food

Everything else is a luxury. You'd be surprised at the munchies in college I was able to make. With these three bare essentials.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky