First time pork butt AND ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

txsmoke89

Original poster
May 23, 2017
Waco TX
Well decided to try my luck at a 12 pound pork butt and two racks of spare ribs today. Get home from church and i fire up the gmg jim bowie to 265. Put some mustard on em as a binder and throw on some dominator sweet rub (oak creek) then into the smoker they go. Ribs come off after 3 hours and i throw in some butter, honey n brown sugar into some foil, place ribs in meat down n wrap tightly. Back in they go for 2 more hours. After 2 hours the ribs come off and out of the foil and they get placed back. Brush on some home made bbq sauce and let it tack up for 30 mins. Ribs come off to rest for 30 mins by that time the butt has reached 265 and gets pulled as well. I place some apple juice and brown sugar im the foil with the shoulder and back in they go. Raised temp to 285. Thats when i start to cut into the ribs and wow were they tender. Wife and inlaws loved them. My maverick goes off when the butt is at 205 so it gets pulled and ready to sit for 2 hours in cooler. Only snapped a pic of me pullinb it apart already but here you guys go. My first ever pulled pork and rib attempt. :yahoo:

Reactions: SmokinAl
I have to give you a point for your first try at ribs & a butt!

They both look fantastic!

Nicely done!

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky