First time bacon maple sryup.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I starting my first batch bacon today. Was going to add some maple syrup. After you do the rinse and soak would there be any maple flavor left?

Natural Maple Syrup only has flavor when concentated, hence 40 to 50 gallons of sap to get 1 gallon of syrup.
Fully cure your bacon and add or, better yet, inject the syrup before forming a pellicle and smoking...JJ

Fully cure your bacon and add or, better yet, inject the syrup before forming a pellicle and smoking..
This is interesting... and something new to me... JJ, can you tell how much of maple syrup (percentage) should be injected and if this should be done right before you start curing process or after... Thank you.

I never experimented to get a, X% is more flavorful than Y%. Add the syrup after the curing process. Brined curing would dilute the syrup so add at the end of the cure. I never tried it with dry cured bacon.
I just injected a small amount here and there across the belly and let it rest 24 hours to disperse. It was tasty but watch your temp cooking it. The high Sugar content burns above 325° in the oven or in a hot pan. Keep an eye on it...JJ

After much experimentation, I find that adding maple syrup to the brine or dry cure process adds little flavour. I started injecting 25 ml (2 tablepsoons) per kg (2 pounds) every inch or so before brining or curing. I got a much better maple flavour. However, maple syrup will not give you the same maple flavour as commercial maple bacon. They add strong extracts. You will get a nice complex sweet with hints of maple.

after the cure, soak and rinse, try dusting maple sugar on it for the equilibrium phase prior to smoking it.

I starting my first batch bacon today. Was going to add some maple syrup. After you do the rinse and soak would there be any maple flavor left?
I have actually had great success in adding pure maple syrup to my brine, the maple flavor persists after the smoking and adds a wonderful flavor.

Attachments

• bacon1.jpg
    bacon1.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 15
  • bacon2.jpg
    bacon2.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 15
  • bacon3.JPG
    bacon3.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 15
I've also done the injection method <After I saw Disco do it> and I have to say you might want to end up mixing extract into the syrup first as well.

#1 In the past I have tried adding real Maple Syrup to my bags while Dry Curing.---Nothing!!
#2 Then I tried adding Maple Sugar to my bags while Dry Curing.----Nothing again!
#3 I don't want my Bacon Sticky with syrup, so I don't put it on between smoking & frying.

I just haven't gotten around to adding Maple Extract yet, but I believe that might be the Ticket.

Bear

Last edited:
You can also buy or make maple sugar and apply that as a coating when curing and then another dusting prior to smoking.
I just started a bacon cure today. I am replacing the brown sugar with maple sugar. Never done it before but I am sure it will be tasty.

I just started a bacon cure today. I am replacing the brown sugar with maple sugar. Never done it before but I am sure it will be tasty.
It works great but it is a little less sweet so you might need a bit more.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky