First pair of Chucks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 27, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Local grocery had chuck roasts on sale for $2.99 this weekend so I decided to pick a couple up and toss them on the smoker. I have been wanting to do this for a long time and even have some in my freezer but the time and the price was right to pull the trigger!

One of them was 5 1/2 pounds and the other was almost 5 pounds. I injected them with low sodium beef broth and then let them marinade overnight in a bath of Worcestershire sauce, dales, red wine, and a nice dusting of Montreal steak seasoning.

Pulled them out of the fridge the next morning and fired up the MES40 to 225. Was hoping I would have gotten some mesquite pellets in time but I didn't. I used a mix of apple and hickory in my AMNPS. Tossed them on the smoker around 10 am. Wanted to start out low so these things would absorb as much smoke as possible because I knew I would be wrapping at the stall. Hard to see in the picture but I had beautiful TBS almost the whole time(except pellets burnt out on me once...guess I should have filled up the whole AMNPS instead of just two rows)

Took about 6 hours and these things were getting stubborn on me. I wanted to get them to 165 before I wrapped but they hit 150 and would not move. So I went ahead and pulled them off the smoker and took them inside to wrap them up. Had a real nice firm bark at this point. I foiled them with some melted Kerrygold Irish Butter, beef broth, and Worcestershire sauce and put them back in the smoker.

Right after I put the foiled roasts back in smoker I sliced up an onion, green pepper, and a few garlic cloves and tossed them in a pan. I dumped a whole tall boy of PBR on top(wanted to use Guinness but only had PBR on hand at the time so had to do haha) and also mixed in some Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, beef broth, and garlic pepper.

Bumped up the temp to 250 and threw the pan of peppers/onions in with the roasts and 5 hours later I reached internal temp of 208 on the meat. I thought I had read from SmokinAl or Bear that pulled beef temp is perfect between 208-210. So 11 hours later I had these things wrapped in foil and sitting in a cooler. It was late and I was starving so I went ahead and pulled one of them after about 30 minutes out of the smoker. Not quite fall apart like a pork butt but still pulled with ease.

These things were juicy and had awesome smoker flavor. I poured some of the foiling juices over it and mixed it up. Tossed the rest in the fridge to make au jus out of or to use as a finishing sauce when I re-heat.

Pulled out a block of smoked cheddar I had done a couple weeks ago and sliced it up. Piled up some of the pulled beef on a Kings Hawaiian role. Added some of my homemade bbq sauce, a slice of smoked cheddar, and some of the onions/peppers I had smoked with this. Fried up some hush puppies and tater tots and added some homemade slaw(not pictured). One heck of a meal washed down with a cold one. Well worth the 12 hour wait.

Thanks for looking! Any comments or suggestions on what I might can do better next time would be appreciated!

Chuck1.jpg

Chuck2.jpg

Chuck3.jpg

Chuck4.jpg

Chuck5.jpg

Chuck6.jpg

Chuck7.jpg

Chuck8.jpg

Chuck9.jpg

Chuck11.jpg
Chuck10.jpg

Attachments

• Chuck12.jpg
    Chuck12.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 13
Looks good from here.

Point for sure.

Chris

So this is interesting as we each did a very similar smoke on Sunday. It seems from your post that you put the veggies and beer in a separate foil pan from the chuckies. I combine the chuck, the beer and the veggies in a foil pan right after pulling the chuck off the smoke at 165. That way the beer tenderizes the meat and the flavors all merge together in the foil process.

Not sure either is for sure the right way, but just different approaches to the same end.

Nice smoke!

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Looks awesome! Mine stalled at 150 as well thought it was a little early. Kings Hawaiian roll is a good idea for next time thank you for that. Really good cook.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
So this is interesting as we each did a very similar smoke on Sunday. It seems from your post that you put the veggies and beer in a separate foil pan from the chuckies. I combine the chuck, the beer and the veggies in a foil pan right after pulling the chuck off the smoke at 165. That way the beer tenderizes the meat and the flavors all merge together in the foil process.

Not sure either is for sure the right way, but just different approaches to the same end.

Nice smoke!

You know I went back and forth all day on whether or not to put the chucky in with the veggies or not. I think next time I might try it that way since the veggies weren't as tender as I would have liked. Plus anything is good cooked in beer! Will make sure I have some Guinness on hand too. Did you shred you're chucky in with the veggies?

Thank you for all of the compliments!

I've got quite a bit of leftovers off this cook. Should I vac seal it kind of like pulled pork and will it re-heat the same? I've still got a jar full of the foiling juices was thinking about maybe dumping a little of that in there to keep it moist?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Yes, pulled chuck vacuum seals just fine and it reheats well in the bag. It’s delicious.

You could put a little au jus in the bag if you desire, just not too much or it will get sucked through the sealer.

I would freeze the au jus seperately to keep for your leftovers and other dishes. Freeze au jus in ice cube trays and then store in a freezer bag....this way you don’t have to thaw the whole container, you could just pull out what you need.

When I vacuum seal leftover smoked pulled pork or pulled beef, I usually don’t add sauce to the bag. This way, I’m not committed to a certain flavor profile. Then I could add whatever flavors I want after the meat is reheated.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky