First cooks on my Blackstone griddle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
Good day all. I purchased a Blackstone griddle last week and had a good chance to get it seasoned and ready for a weekend cook. Here are my thoughts.

Griddle Size: I bought the 36" griddle and I am glad I did. Griddle space gets used up quickly when you have multiple items going at once.

Griddle Power: I have no basis to compare this griddle with other models however, I was suitably impressed with how much heat this unit put out.

Griddle Seasoning: I used a blend of soy and coconut oil to season my griddle. I use this blend to also season my carbon steel pans. Seasoning worked well.

First Cook: First cook was a fairly traditional breakfast. Eggs, bacon, hash browns, and toast. I undercooked the hash browns a bit.

Bacon was my own home cured belly bacon. Maple/Cherry smoke.

For the hash browns, I used noboundaries noboundaries par boil method. It worked well but I slightly undercooked the spuds in the boil and on the grill. :emoji_unamused: They tasted great so I call it a success. Will do better next time. I want to try par baking them next time to compare with the par boil method.

Bacon cooked up well and a squirt of water and a quick scrape and the griddle was clean.

The real test was the eggs. If they stuck, my seasoning was crap. No sticking, they flipped nicely. Sorry no egg pics. Stuff gets moving quickly on the griddle and I didn't get nearly as many pics as I would have liked.

Bacon.jpg

hash browns.jpg

For lunch, it was on to the Wisconsin Cheese Steak sandwiches. (Wisconsin cheese steak because I am using sharp cheddar instead of mozzarella or provolone.) I used store bought shaved ribeye and chopped and grilled up the peppers and onions. Some SPOG seasoning, could have used a bit more SPOG on these. Buttered and grilled hoagie roll and POOF! Delicious Wisconsin cheese steak.

Ingredient line up.

CS ingredients.jpg

Peppers, mushrooms, and onions cooking on the griddle.... Wonderful aroma...

CS pepp onion.jpg

Just about ready for the hoagie roll.....

CS serving.jpg

Cheese steak done and on the roll. :emoji_yum:

CS complete.jpg

Sunday lunch Oklahoma Onion Smash Burgers

Got a really nice crust on these burgers. The ground beef I had was from a 1/4 beef I purchased last year. The beef is great but very lean so I melted some lard and poured it over the ice cold beef and mixed it in with the seasoning. It worked perfectly. I bought a Meykers burger smasher to smash my burgers. It worked perfectly. If you are looking for an easy to clean and functional burger smasher, I recommend this one. Onions were hand sliced with my santoku knife. Got really nice thin slices.

Smash 1.jpg

So tasty.... Just like the diner.

Smash 2.jpg

Now that I have a flat top griddle, I am wondering why I haven't gotten one of these sooner?

Cooking on it was really quick and enjoyable. Can't wait for my next cook.

Thanks for reading.

JC :emoji_cat:

Last edited:
I've only done smash burgers and hibachi on my flat top (I've got a crusinart 360 not blackstone) but I love the versatility and the room.

Reactions: JC in GB
Everything looks fantastic! I agree flat tops are fun to cook on and can do so many thing. If looking for some ideas check out The Hungry Hussey on YouTube, then tune things in to how you like.

Everything looks fantastic! I agree flat tops are fun to cook on and can do so many thing. If looking for some ideas check out The Hungry Hussey on YouTube, then tune things in to how you like.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out. Always looking for good ideas....

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: Flatrate
Great stuff right there! No looking back now, the sky is the limit!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky