First cook on OKlahoma Joe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So I got the chance to get somewhat of a handle on fire management while burning off the crap and then a second fire for seasoning. We will see. I am using real chunk charcoal and pecan from my own property.
As well as some store bought chunks of hickory.
IMG_8786.png
IMG_8789.png
IMG_8790.png

3 hours in and spritzed a few times.
Out and some butter, honey, brown sugar and a wee sauce....wrapped in foil and back on.
1CABE030-A664-4272-985D-2D26DA9B2FEF.jpeg
24256808-667E-4C5A-8B5E-28E3F4E93167.jpeg
BE94AA36-5F3E-43E2-924E-15733D25C84A.jpeg

OK folks---this was a very good first cook on the new smoker. Fire control and temp management needs some work, but the result was very good. I would not say great.

I got fearful of overcooking and took them off 30 minutes early and the temp had dropped off from desired in the final 30 minutes or so.

The meat was nearly falling off the bone and the taste and bite texture was as it should be. Just think another 30 minutes at temp was in order.

The smoke pallet was right on. as usual, Toni wanted more garlic flavor and she thought more sauce in the wrap would have been good.

All in all--a very good lesson.

BTW--Max loved 'em.

IMG_8796.png
IMG_8797.png

Reactions: woodyussluce
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky