First Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alesmoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 21, 2016
Southern Illinois
So I finally decided to nut up and give a brisket a go. Got a 13 lb packer from Sams. So trimming was a touch more difficult than it looked from watching YouTube but I managed to remove the hard fat to what I suppose is my liking. Did a simple rub of salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Smoking on dry oak. Only two and a half hours in so far. Offset is ranging 260-280. Trying to keep the temp down at 250 but the day is warming up quick. Here's to hoping for some success!!
ea75d49aa898f5d66c63ee39b8c1d04f.jpg
1f6c39df105b1de9db786386a806ba6d.jpg
d88b32a983ed35ede7384f06c30dfa8c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!

One thing I miss about my old job is that I don't go to Minnesota anymore and, as such, don't get access to Surly's fine beers!

Can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!

One thing I miss about my old job is that I don't go to Minnesota anymore and, as such, don't get access to Surly's fine beers!
Truer words never spoke! Getting lucky here in So. Illinois! Surly just started distributing down here! Good times!

I'm in for this one!

Looking forward to some sliced shots!

May be a while before I reply again though, 10 hour road trip starts soon.

Definitely posting update pics! I'm just hoping she'll be done by the time you're done with your road trip. Never know with brisket right? Safe travels!

7c825145ced15ca5067c98a9906769ac.jpg

Final product pics almost didn't happen! I wanted to do the whole brisket with a few slices Style pic but just got too excited and served most of my brisket out! So here's a few slices for viewing. It wasn't perfect but edible and tasty! Lessons learned, looking forward to the next one.

looks mighty damn tasty to me ... Thumbs Up

What did/didn't you like about it ?? looking at your first pic (trimmed up)... I would suggest next time to leave at least a 1/4" of fat on it (cross hatched).. myself, I don't do any trimming (fat is flavor) ... I trim it off before slicing the finished product ...

Doesn't look too far from perfect from here...now I'm hungry...lol...
Got a couple small chuck roasts to smoke on Wednesday. Then doing 6 (yes 6) butts and 3 racks of BB and a couple dozen ATBs on the 25th for a fundraiser. T'is finally the season for some outdoor get togethers.

looks mighty damn tasty to me ... Thumbs Up

What did/didn't you like about it ?? looking at your first pic (trimmed up)... I would suggest next time to leave at least a 1/4" of fat on it (cross hatched).. myself, I don't do any trimming (fat is flavor) ... I trim it off before slicing the finished product ...

My main complaint was that some of the slices from the flat weren't as moist and tender as I was hoping for. That and my slicing skills are in need of some practice. Definitely going to spare the fat trimming on my next go round.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky