First brisket, point, flat, burnt ends questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Teal101

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 2, 2020
So digging through the archives here I've come across various ways to do a brisket and think I've landed on my recipe. I have a 9.5lb Choice Packer that was given to me by a buddy to do up. I plan on cooking it with a hot and fast method and making burnt ends from the point. Plan is to trim hard fat, excess fat, and the cap down to 1/4" or so. I thought about splitting the point from the flat prior to cooking and doing them separate, but as of right now am thinking of doing it whole. I'll be running my Trager at 275* (which as measured on my inkird is really 285-300* consistently) and cooking until 160*. At this point my plan is to separate the flat and point, wrap the flat in paper and put it back on and then leave the point unwrapped and put it back on. Will pull the flat when probe tender and rest. When the point is tender I will pull, cube, rub, put it in a pan with some sauce and let that roll for another 2hrs or so. Figuring my flat will take 6-8hrs and the point into burnt ends closer to 10hrs. My main question is would I be better off just separating the point from the flat to start? I have concerns with a lack of bark where the two will be separated and also losing heat and juice when splitting. On the flip side, separating prior to the cook leaves me with concern my flat will end up drier than I want. So I ask, what is your method and reasoning? Pics of the packer below
20200409_114501.jpg
20200409_114506.jpg
20200409_114457.jpg

Agreed, it comes down to personal choice which comes from multiple smokes trying it different ways. Personally, I always smoke packers whole.

Reactions: Teal101
Thats what I've gathered so far as well, all a personal choice based on previous smokes, of which I have none! I decided to go whole and split at 160*. Its going on in about 20 minutes.

Reactions: Winterrider
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky