First Brisket on My MES - Took Forever!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

weezmcfly

Original poster
May 29, 2012
Menifee, CA
Okay, I thought I would post to see if any of you have had similar experiences with Brisket.  This is the second time I have used my MES 30.  I bought a 4lb Flat Brisket and from what I had read in these forums, they generally take about 1.5 to 2 hours per pound.  The thing took close to 12 hours to reach an IT of 190 degrees!  Here is how I prepped it and smoked it:
  • Brisket had mustard/dry rub applied 24 hours prior to smoking.  Left the 1/4 inch of fat on the bottom and inserted some slivers of garlic clove into the fat side.
  • Smoking day 6AM - Brought smoker up to temp of 230 degrees with a water pan of hot water loaded.  I have verifed that the temperature is fairly accurate with an external redi-check thermometer.
  • Meat went on at 6:45AM.
  • I decided not to spritz or foil on this smoke.  I just kept the smoker closed and let it go.  The only time I opened the door was a few hours in to insert a temp probe into the meat.  I know a lot of people foil at around 165 degrees but I generally like the texture of unfoiled meat.
  • I checked the accuracy of my meat probe with an instant read thermometer to make sure that I was getting a good reading
It finally hit 190 degrees at about 6:30 PM and then I wrapped it in foil and did the towel/cooler thing for about an hour.  Any ideas why it would take 12 hours for a 4 pound brisket?  It came out really good.  The texture was great and it was fairly juicy.  I am just curious if I did something wrong or have some of you had similar experiences.  Here are the pics.
a616ee78_photo.jpg

057539ae_beef.jpg

You probably experience a pretty significant stall. Each piece of meat is different and some can stall a LONG time. You might try a higher temp (maybe 250 - 275*)

...or after the bark is set (by using the finger nail test) use the TX crutch by wrapping it in two layers of heavy duty aluminum foil...usualy about 150-160* internal.  I know you don't like to wrap but the TX crutch works thru the stall. 

I know what you mean about liking to leave it unwrapped ...I like to unwrap after 190* to tighten it up a bit until I get the look I want.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky