First Brisket - Let's go!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hecklar56

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 25, 2019
Morning Gents!

One of the best decisions we made last year was to get a 1/2 cow from a local farm. It's been great. Been saving the brisket for quite a while and today is the day. Nervous as heck, so please feel free to share any advice/pointers.

Using the Masterbuilt 800 Gravity Fed, Oak Wood Chunks. S/P/G rubbed last night, overnight in fridge. Just put it on at 235, point towards the heat. Using temp as just a guide have learned over the years here that done-ness for a brisket is determined with probing. Put one probe in the tip, one in the flat.

Wish us luck, will update with pictures as the day rolls on.

Cheers!!

Attachments

• tempImageDMhWqq.png
    tempImageDMhWqq.png
    1,001.5 KB · Views: 70
Interesting grate on the 800. Is that the middle grate level ? Also interesting cut on the brisket, doesn't look like the same packer cut I'd buy at Sams.

I put some grates from my MES40 in there to lift the brisket off the grill surface (and I put a drip pan under it to prevent any fires). Should I just put it right on the surface?

The cut was from our 1/2 cow and was done by a processor, since this is my first attempt I don't have any comparative experience but I must admit it looks a bit different from some of the packers I've seen on here.

Thanks!!

Reactions: 912smoker
Just about two hours in. Wondering if I should just forego the drip pan under it and put it right on the grate. If I keep it elevated, wondering if I should put any water or liquid in the pan to help with moisture...

EDIT: Not sure what's up with my pic, but it comes up when you click.

Attachments

• IMG_5960.jpeg
    IMG_5960.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 65
The brisket looks like a lot of point but not much flat, which for me, would be fine, no problem at all with that. Most packer cuts are gonna have very thin flat section, that I trim off for grind.

IDK bout the 800, but on my 560 I always cooked on the middle grate level. I thought there was probably better convection there and it got away from the radiant heat of the manifold. Your 800 may be totally different. I just wondered about that grate.

I always cooked with water in the pan on the 560. It had strong air flow and it could dry the surface of meats. I thought the moisture would help.

Reactions: JLeonard
The brisket looks like a lot of point but not much flat, which for me, would be fine, no problem at all with that. Most packer cuts are gonna have very thin flat section, that I trim off for grind.

IDK bout the 800, but on my 560 I always cooked on the middle grate level. I thought there was probably better convection there and it got away from the radiant heat of the manifold. Your 800 may be totally different. I just wondered about that grate.
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm fine with lots of point too...

I think keeping it elevated with the pan under is the right call, your feedback helped me decide. The grates are from my other smoker, mostly used for jerky. Just wondering if any liquid should go in that pan or just let it gather any drippings.

Thanks again!!

I edited my previous post about the water.

My 560 had strong air flow. It had a large exhaust slot across the back. Air flow can dry out the surface of meats. And smoke sticks to wet surfaces. So I always put water in the drip pan to try to keep the surface of the meats moist.

I also thought a drip pan insulated the meat from radiant heat from the manifold and water amplified that insulation. But your manifold may not be as close to the bottom grate as on the 560.

I ran biscuit tests on my 560 and found I had a hot spot above the left end of the manifold. I theorized that heat hit the end of the manifold and then went straight up. But for that reason, I avoided the bottom grate. Again, your smoker may vary.

I edited my previous post about the water.

My 560 had strong air flow. It had a large exhaust slot across the back. Air flow can dry out the surface of meats. And smoke sticks to wet surfaces. So I always put water in the drip pan to try to keep the surface of the meats moist.

I also thought a drip pan insulated the meat from radiant heat from the manifold and water amplified that insulation. But your manifold may not be as close to the bottom grate as on the 560.

I ran biscuit tests on my 560 and found I had a hot spot above the left end of the manifold. I theorized that heat hit the end of the manifold and then went straight up. But for that reason, I avoided the bottom grate. Again, your smoker may vary.
Fantastic feedback and information, thank you!

BTW, I get out to OKC regularly. Love it out there!

EDIT: Just re-seated the wireless probe and did notice the outside was drying a bit. Hopefully the water will help some, thanks for the tip!

Here's the science behind smoke sticking to wet surfaces, from Meathead at Amazing Ribs. Scroll down to the heading " Smoke and Food "

Smoke and Food

dry-oil-wet-pads.jpg.webp

Glad to hear you enjoyed your time here in OKC, the place is constantly changing.

Reactions: hecklar56
Water in the pan is fine. Now, keep that lid shut unit the flat probe is around 195º then start probing for tenderness. Note: probing the point will always indicate tender due to fat content, ergo why probing the flat is the key.

Stepping away for a bit, just loaded up more charcoal and wood chunks. Flat is reading at 147, tip at 131. Trying out a new temp probe today (TempSpike) and not quite trusting it. So far so good!

Approaching hour 10. Flat is at 180, Point at 166. Last 20 degrees has been very slow going but that's ok. Would like to eat in about 4 hours and let it rest for two...so I'm wondering if I should wrap to take it from 180 (flat) to the 200 range. Thoughts? Paper or foil? Let it be?

Feel like it's looking pretty good. When I put the probe in just now there was minimal resistance, but not 'butter' just yet.

Thanks!!

EDIT: Pic works if you click. Current temp set at 255. Instead of wrapping I suppose I could up the temp a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_5961.jpeg
    IMG_5961.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 53
Everybody has their favorite for paper or foil. Take your pick.
IMO, the only reason to up the temp is if you are in a time crunch and need to give it a push to get done at a specified time.

Reactions: hecklar56
Everybody has their favorite for paper or foil. Take your pick.
IMO, the only reason to up the temp is if you are in a time crunch and need to give it a push to get done at a specified time.
Thanks for the reply! So would you wrap it? I was able to pick up some Butcher Paper so would use that but I'm on the fence whether to even wrap it at all. Thanks!

I guess I really didn't answer your question.
Must be trying to be a politician, talk without saying anything. Haha

I would wrap.
I believe paper can keep the bark a little firmer than foil.
Just depends on how you want the finished product to be.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky