First BLT of the growing season!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks tasty , I'm pretty jealous right now.
Thanks Jim! Another one for lunch today....and probably for supper again too!!! LOL!!! Did I say I love BLT's???

WOW!! I am with you. Love a BLT like none other. I'll take three....please :emoji_wink:

Robert
Thanks Robert. Nothing like a home grown tomato. BLT's and salsa are why I have a garden and put so much work into building my soil. Nothing makes a tomato taste outstanding than minerals from the sea; and I get that from the fish carcasses I bury....

HECK YEAH, Keith!! We love BLTs with fresh, home grown tomatoes and of course, it's Duke's mayo around here...:emoji_grinning:

Now you got me jones'in for a blt Inda. That looks great,

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: indaswamp
Awesome BLT!
Having one for lunch in a few.
Beef bacon & home grown mater’s.
We have a small garden, but get quite a bit of veggies from it.
Al

Now you got me jones'in for a blt Inda. That looks great,

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks gmc!

Awesome BLT!
Having one for lunch in a few.
Beef bacon & home grown mater’s.
We have a small garden, but get quite a bit of veggies from it.
Al
Thanks Al! BLT on the menu tonight for supper.

Great looking BLT. This may help you out. Here's trick.You can ripen tomatoes on the stalk by hanging them upside down in the dark in a cool place. We had a root cellar out West and we had ripe tomatoes all Winter long.

Great looking BLT. This may help you out. Here's trick.You can ripen tomatoes on the stalk by hanging them upside down in the dark in a cool place. We had a root cellar out West and we had ripe tomatoes all Winter long.
I put them in a plastic bag with a banana. Tomatoes ripen from ethylene vapor, a natural process. The banana gives off a lot of ethylene and speed tomato ripening.

Will slice my first tomato today. A Cherokee Purple that was suppose to be a Big Beef. Evidently, I got them mixed up when I potted up.

It has a very small bit of cracking from all the rains we had, but at this point, who cares.

20230615_103120.jpg

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Yum! Wish I could grow cherokee purple here but they just don't produce well and get rvaged by disease in the hot humid deep south. Cracking here is normal with all the rain we get, though oddly enough it has been a relatively dry spring here this season. That brought on different problems....worst army worm infestation I have ever had and birds pecking my tomatoes for water.....always something!

Yum! Wish I could grow cherokee purple here but they just don't produce well and get rvaged by disease in the hot humid deep south. Cracking here is normal with all the rain we get, though oddly enough it has been a relatively dry spring here this season. That brought on different problems....worst army worm infestation I have ever had and birds pecking my tomatoes for water.....always something!

There's a way to beat the birds.

Birds are attracted to the red color. Pick the tomato when its " blushing " . That's when it first starts to turn color, turns a little pink. Bring them inside to finish ripening. It will have no impact on flavor. Flavor is already set and they don't have to ripen on the vine.

I had mockingbirds living in my neighbor's redbud tree that feasted on my tomatoes until I got this trick from a lady in a gardening forum. She knew more about tomatoes and gardening than anyone I've ever met. Sadly, she passed three years ago and she's greatly missed on that forum.

I have heard that hanging solid plastic red balls in/ on the plants will help deter the birds pecking tomatoes... They start pecking the fake fruit, get no water, and give up. Trains the birds to leave your tomatoes alone. Might give that a try next season.....

Man I love a good BLT with fresh garden tomato!! Jealous as I am at least a month from them in my garden.
Thanks jcam! I have been O.D.ing on BLT's since my first tomato turned ripe! Bet I've gone through 4# of bacon already! LOL! Matter of fact, I'm eating one right now! LOL!!!!

(Did I say I really love a good BLT with home grown tomatoes???)

Thanks jcam! I have been O.D.ing on BLT's since my first tomato turned ripe! Bet I've gone through 4# of bacon already! LOL! Matter of fact, I'm eating one right now! LOL!!!!

(Did I say I really love a good BLT with home grown tomatoes???)

The best bite is at the end, when the bread has soaked up juice from the tomato.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky