Finishing Sauce...how long does it last?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cobrar97

Original poster
Apr 19, 2019
Hi. I'm totally new to the forum, and I just received my Rec Tec Stampede yesterday, and I'm hoping to use it this weekend for a pork butt to make great pulled pork.
As I've been trying to educate myself, I came across the pork finishing sauce, and I have everything to make it.
Question is...do you use it ALL for the single 7-9# butt, or does the recipe make more than needed? And if it makes more, how long can it be saved in the bottle...or do you just throw it away and make new next time?

Question is...do you use it ALL for the single 7-9# butt, or does the recipe make more than needed?

Without seeing the recipe, we have no idea of how much it makes. And how much to use is strictly personal preference. But, any extra will last a long time. I've probably had some in my fridge for more than 6 months.

Should last a while. If you are using one of the popular finishing sauces you will not need to use all of it. Its really personal preference. It should last a long time its vinegar based most of them. Vinegar will last a long time in the fridge.

Speaking from my own experience, sauce and rub recipes seem to be overly generous when it comes to final quantity. That said, it really comes down to taste. Some like ribs falling off the bone and dripping with BBQ sauce. Others prefer un-sauced ribs or ribs that have a minimum of sauce that is well set.

Most of the time I have leftovers from sauce or rub mixes I make myself.

You can save leftover sauce in the fridge for a few weeks with no issues usually. Just be sure you have no cross contamination from raw meat going back into the bottle.

I've had some soflaq finish sauce in the fridge for prob 8 months now. As good or perhaps better than the day I made it. Ymmv

That recipe IMO is plenty for 2 butts with average weight of 8lbs. I don’t like a lot on mine so I save the rest and put it in a sealed bottle til the next pork butt I do. Usually a month apart or so.

Reactions: JC in GB
I find the SoFlaQuers recipe to be enough for one or two Butts.
Of course this depends on size, personal tastes and if I'm planning on reheating.
If I'm reheating in the future I use more.

It is vinegar based and will last pretty much indefinitely or at least your next Butt.

My question would be, "Is it shelf stable as-is when made?"
I'm mean heck, it's so much vinegar, can I bottle/can it and leave it out?

Last edited:
Reactions: JC in GB
Sounds good...since SoFlaQuers recipe is the one I wrote down. So I'm good for 2 butts with that.

Since I'm the only one is our house who uses a finishing sauce on pulled pork, a batch lasts me a long time. I just leave it in the fridge, ready to use the next time. I've never had a batch go bad, no matter how long its in the fridge--just like pickles.
Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky