Finally got a Tri-tip for the first time.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

roscoe

Original poster
Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Being from the north east part of Canada, for some reason we never see tri-tips. But my butcher got a bunch of nice looking ones and I took one off his hands. He's not really impressed by them for grilling, and said he uses them for stewing. I guess there are advantages to being a butcher and having first pick of anything you want. :-)

But back to me and my 2lbs of beef. Today was bacon smoking day, so before I got started with that I put the tri-tip into a homemade marinade (olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, onion, soya sauce, mustard, and other stuff I forgot) for a few hours.

Once the bacon was smoked (5 hours later) I put the beef into the smoker at 225f with some mesquite for about 2 hours until the tri-tip internal temp was 135f.

Put it on the grill to finish quickly and char it up, then rested it for 20 min to let those juices distribute since it was a nice medium doneness.

Final product was amazing, like a cross between a steak and brisket. I think it's my new favourite cut of beef to smoke/grill.

Here's a pic of the final product.

Looks really good. I prefer tri-tip to brisket. Go show that to your butcher and maybe he'll get them in more often! Of course he might also keep them for himself!

TriTip is excellent on the grill. My wife grills them up she makes a mean tritip roast. Cooks them to medium on the grill lets sets for a few minutes. She rubs with EVO, Kosher salt, cracked blk pepper, and garlic powder.

I love it sliced thin

BillMc

I agree with Dirt....I really like the flavor better than brisket.  I do mine on the Weber grill and its great

Kat

Nice looking TriTip. Finishing off on the BBQ is a nice touch.
Looks-Great.gif

Being a total smoking newb, I have to ask how do you serve tri-tip?  It looks like you slice it, but can you pull it?

Being a total smoking newb, I have to ask how do you serve tri-tip?  It looks like you slice it, but can you pull it?

My wife marinades our tri-tips, chars the outside on a hot grill (~500 deg F.), then drops the heat down to ~400 deg F and finishes on indirect heat for about an hour.
She also bastes it periodically with the marinade for the last hour.
We've always sliced it against the grain on a bias.
Very tender, juicy, and flavorful.
Never heard of anyone pulling a tri-tip but that doesn't mean that someone hasn't figured out a way of doing it.

Tri tip is a Ca staple down here , you might try going to a Costco to see if they carry them or can get them for you in Canada... It's great to marinade and just grill to a nice med rare or smoke to about 102 and then sear off on the grill...like Ed said , it's only a hour to hour and a half on smoke ... And like brisket , you want to cut cross grain...also in Ca we have what's known as a ball tip which is simular to the tri tip but even tastier ... People here in the east Bay Area have getting them from Kinders for years know what I'm talking about ... Here is a pic of the last tri tip I smoked...

Last edited:
I just found a butcher shop that has them....my regular butcher "who I chew that fat with" doesn't have them.  I feel like i'm cheating going to another butcher but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do for beef!

never heard of a tri tip being pulled, but you can do tri tip a few different ways, and each one is better than the next. they take awesomely to direct heat, love the smoker, and just all around deelishusss!!!

This looks really good!  What is your marinade?  Would like to try a tri tip and would like a good marinade or rub for the first time. 

Whatever your fave beef rub is ... I keep mine simple with a healthy dose of kosher salt , ground pepper , granulated garlic and some chipotle honey rub.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky