Fermented Summer Sausage Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jkc64

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 7, 2011
Portland, TN.
I have made summer sausage in the past using cure #1 and ECA. Now I want to try fermenting. I will be using F-LC with cure #1 and a premix. Here is my plan.

5 pounds of 80/20 ground beef
mix F-LC in distilled water. Instructions state .5% of the batch weight. My math shows .4 oz with 1/2 teaspoon of culture. Set aside for 30 min.
mix seasonings with the meat. Using Owens BBQ pre mix with cure. adding 1% dextrose
mix F-LC last then stuff.
Using 2" X 12" casings, comes to 50.8mm diameter
ferment at 86 F and 85 to 90 rh for 24 hours or till below 4.9ph
place in smoker @ 130 for an hour to dry then smoke for 5 to 8 hours.
vacuum seal chubs
transfer to sous vide @ 142 for 2.5 hours to reach IT of 141. Then keep this temp for an additional 3 hours for pasteurization. Using the Baldwin charts based on a 55mm casing.
ice to cool then into the fridge for 1 to 3 days and vac seal for storage in fridge
What am I missing or doing wrong?

Your on track. Just jump in. By what you have said, I think you will be fine. Pasteurization at 140 is around 20 minutes on IT, not 3 hours, but longer hurts nothing.

I think the sausage will (maybe) be too moist... gently squeeze it to determine texture... A little heat for a few hours will help dry it out... I run my smoker at 140-150ish until it passes the squeeze test... Sometimes that takes hours...

Will it hurt anything to go through fermentation fridge overnight and put in the smoker next day

when you say fermentation fridge are you talking about temp control for fermenting.
Your using FLC, you will need to hold some of these temps for fermenting.

This culture can produce a slow traditional acidification product at low temps. (Less than 77° F) or a fast U.S. style fermented product at higher temps. (95°F-115°F). I would not go under 70*

Reactions: indaswamp
I was asking if after I ferment can I throw it in the cold fridge and smoke tomorrow or do I need to ferment and go straight to the smoker

Despite my OP I believe I have the mechanics down. I'm just trying to work out the timing. Do I need to move through the entire process once I start (mix, stuff, ferment, smoke, finish) or can I break the steps up? Mix and ferment, fridge overnight, bring chubs up to temp and smoke and finish the next day?

Despite my OP I believe I have the mechanics down. I'm just trying to work out the timing. Do I need to move through the entire process once I start (mix, stuff, ferment, smoke, finish) or can I break the steps up? Mix and ferment, fridge overnight, bring chubs up to temp and smoke and finish the next day?
I don't see any issues with it. As a matter of fact, i am planning to do the same thing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky