Fermented brussel sprouts.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
We're having brussel sprouts with dinner tonight. And I bought some extras to try something different.

IMG_20231123_123121578.jpg

I've heard of them. But never had them. So, here we go.
Trimmed and halved sprouts.
1 cup distilled water.
1 TBS pickling salt
1 tsp minced dried onion
1/2 tsp dried dill.
I'll let them ferment for a couple weeks.

Looks good. I got some beets going for my dad and some baby carrots also. We’ll see how they turn out in a week or so.

Jim

Reactions: Steve H
Looks good. I got some beets going for my dad and some baby carrots also. We’ll see how they turn out in a week or so.

Jim
Thanks. Ann loves pickled beets. Me. Not so much. I fermented some carrots with Cubanelle peppers. Loved them. Are you fermenting the beets and carrots?

I'm loving this idea!! Are you actually fermenting them or just pickling them? I don't see an air lock, but the top of the jar is not visible.

Robert

I'm loving this idea!! Are you actually fermenting them or just pickling them? I don't see an air lock, but the top of the jar is not visible.

Robert
I'm fermenting them. I'm using the burping lid. Can't wait to try them. This is only a pint jar to experiment with.

I love Brussel sprouts, got the ugly farts from them 1 time and not sure why, hunting buddy told me never eat them before deer hunting the next day :emoji_laughing: , these sound really good but what's the rebound lmao

• Haha
Those look fantastic. Thanks for the inspiration. My wife just bought some brussells this afternoon. Time to take down the Korean fermenting vessel!
Thanks! And you're welcome. What type of vessel do you have?

Cracked them open last night. And took some for work snack.

View attachment 682886

These are delicious! Just like little sauerkraut balls. Making a larger batch ASAP!
Glad to hear they are good. Now I have to buy some this week. Questions, are they like refrigerator pickles to be kept in the fridge & do they soften up during fermentation?

Look great Steve! I'm going to have to try it.
Thanks Jeff!

Glad to hear they are good. Now I have to buy some this week. Questions, are they like refrigerator pickles to be kept in the fridge & do they soften up during fermentation?
You can leave them to ferment on the counter until they reach the taste you want. These were fermented for about 2 weeks. Then I put them in the fridge to slow the fermentation. They remained firm and crunchy.

Reactions: Cajun Smokes
Thanks Jeff!

You can leave them to ferment on the counter until they reach the taste you want. These were fermented for about 2 weeks. Then I put them in the fridge to slow the fermentation. They remained firm and crunchy.
Thanks Steve

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky