Extra Brat Meat

Discussion in 'Pork' started by duresk, Sep 26, 2014.

1. duresk

duresk Fire Starter

I made brats and ran out of casings. I have about 4lbs of meat left over. Any ideas of what I should do with it? 

I thought about using that meat to make a fatty.

2. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

You could do that. Or shape into patties and have brat burgers. You could freeze the patties and use as needed.

3. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Brat burgers sound awesome.

4. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Brat meat in bulk has many uses, how about a fatty or two ?

5. jarjarchef

jarjarchef Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Brat meatballs with spatzel and braised red cabbage

Form the mixture around a skewer and grill

Brat Chili

Brat, cheddar and ale soup with pretzel croutons

Stuffed chicken breast with brat stuffing

Send to me to make things with :biggrin:

6. I posted here about an experiment using brat meat to make a fattie. It has become my first choice, try it I bet you'll like it.

7. mdboatbum

mdboatbum Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I once made a deep dish Chicago style pizza using leftover bratwurst as the sausage layer. It was pretty tasty. Had I planned a little better I might've used caramelized onions and a mustard based sauce and maybe some smoked mozzarella to make it even more "authentic".

8. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I made Kielbasa a couple days ago..... Rolled "Kielbasa Balls" and threw them in the smoker with the sausage... Came out really good...

Try some of those along with a fatty.... I think they would be really good in spaghetti...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  9. duresk

duresk Fire Starter

That is a good idea. When my family gets together to make kielbasa, we always about 10 extra pounds and cook in the oven. So good!

10. duresk

duresk Fire Starter

I think I am going to go with making a fatty. I haven't made a fatty and I am excited to try it. I am hoping tomorrow, but it will depend if I can kick this stomach bug by then. 

11. duresk

duresk Fire Starter

This does sound good for another time. Do you have a recipe for the Chicago style pizza? Are you allowed to share it? :)

12. mdboatbum

mdboatbum Master of the Pit OTBS Member

It's just a deep dish pizza, no real recipe involved. I think I looked on YouTube at a few videos to see how the parts all went together. It's basically crust, sauce, meat, crust, sauce, cheese and then whatever other toppings you want.

13. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I know some people think it is not sausage unless it is in a casing.

Might not be the traditional Brat.  But to me it is still good sausage.

Good luck and good smoking.

14. duresk

duresk Fire Starter

I ended up making a fatty out of it. I will upload the photos when I get the transferred to my computer. It was tasty!

15. duresk

duresk Fire Starter

It turned out really well. I have enough brat meat to do one more of these. That is probably what I will do with it. :)

16. jarjarchef

jarjarchef Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Stuff with some sauerkraut and serve with some spatzel

17. duresk

duresk Fire Starter

I can't believe I didn't think to stuff it with sauerkraut. That is pure genius. I will do that on the next smoke. I have a little more meat left.