Experiment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLeonard

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
Southaven, MS
Was wandering through the meat dept at Kroger the other day and ran across these…
IMG_1362.jpeg
IMG_1361.jpeg
Decided I’d do a little experimenting and see how these were straight out of the package.
Onto the kettle with a lazy snake set up.
IMG_1363.jpeg
Also put half a 3 PD chub of burger on there. That’s for tomorrows chili. That’ll be another post.
The tri tip was cooked to a 145 degrees IT with the kettle running 225-250 degrees with some maple chunks mixed into the snake.
IMG_1364.jpeg
Was mighty tasty, with just a hint of the Hatch chile rub. Not overly hot just had a good taste.
IMG_1367.jpeg IMG_1368.jpeg
The brisket went to 209 degrees. Was toothpick tender. Great smoke ring, tender, juicy. And quite tasty.
Thanks for looking.

Jim

Looks delicious, Jim!

Only way to get tri tip here is pre-seasoned unless it's from a beef I have processed. I also sometimes get a pre-seasoned hunk of brisket. Both are pretty decent.

I am not normally a fan of pre-seasoned tri-tip but the hatch chili sounds interesting.

The after pictures look great so I have nothing but good thoughts on that.

The brisket looks great as well.

I did cook up a pre-seasoned corned beef brisket myself tonight in the instant pot with cabbage, potatoes and carrots so it isn't out of the question.

Reactions: JLeonard
Looks great Jim . Nothing wrong with those at all . Nice job bud .
( watch that grain direction )

Nice looking grub Jim. I need to go check my local Kroger now. Tri Tip is non-existant around here. Publix carried it for a while a few years ago. They quit stocking it because nobody bought it, since most folks around here have never heard of it.

Very nice Jim. The TT is a little beyond where I'd cook it but still looks really good. That brisket is perfection though. As purdy as any I've seen here, that's fo sho!! Very nice job buddy.

Robert

tx smoker tx smoker yeah I did on overnight and was cooking for the ladies at work. They were very specific about the doneness. It was a bit over for me also. But still good.
chopsaw chopsaw yeah thought I had a good idea on the grain of it til I got to slicing then I lost it.
Thanks to everyone. Lesa is wanting me to do a full packer. When/if I get a weekend off I’m gonna do that.

Jim

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky