ECB didn't get my butt hot enough

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

graybeard

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 21, 2008
Athens Ga
Well, I dusted off my ECB Friday and smoked some ribs and a 5 pound butt. I smoked the butt for 8 hours but the temp only got to 185 degrees. When the butt hit 165 I wrapped it in foil but 185 is all I got. It looked great and tasted great but not sure why it didn't hit 205. The slab was dang near perfect as well. I only used 14 lbs of charcoal which is way better than 22+ pounds for my SFB smoker. Also, no mods done to my ECB, YET!
beard

Nope, ECB does just fine with Butts. Actually better than my GOSM. I can do 8 1/2 lbers in 7 1/2 hours on my ECB and reach close to 400º if it is wanted. (with mods)
More than likely you hit a plateau where the meat temp stalls for a bit. If you had left it alone, it would have moved eventually.
What temp was the smoker at?

".....you hit a plateau"

I too agree. That plateau can really raise your stress level when trying to meet a firm deadline (neighbors, wife & kids expect to eat at exactly 6PM every day).

My good old ECB cooked a pretty good butt back in the day (2 years ago).

William.........i have done 18 hour smokes on my ecb gourment............so where's the liability???????
confused.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky