Does it matter how I stack the meat in racks?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tlcpokertables

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 1, 2009
Long Island, NY.
Hi....Newbie here!
I am in the middle of smoking (2) racks of baby back ribs and (4) meatloafs in a vertical smoker. Right now, the ribs are on the top 2 racks and the meatloafs are on the bottom 2 racks. The ribs seem to be doing well, but the loaves look evidently under-cooked. Is there a right way to cook them both at the same time?

Well I think that is how I would stack them if I had a vertical smoker. Just remember never put poultry on the top rack above other food and cook to internal temp is correct.

Part of me thinks the top 2 racks are more appropriate for the meatloafs, since heat rises, it maybe be hotter at the top. Just guessing.

We know it's a vertical smoker, but what type? Does it have a sfb? Charcoal, electric, a gasser? I would say that the bottom rack would be hotter since it's closer to the heat source. What's the internal temp of the meat loaves? The chicken issue is debateable.

It's a Perfect Flame, propane vertical smoker. This is only the first time I'm using it....I don't have any meat temp gauges as of yet.

Mikey - I would agree with you about keeping the loafs on the bottom racks, but there is the wood chip box as well as a water pan above the heat source. My thought is that the heat goes up the sides to the top. Again, just guessing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky