Do you record/log all your cooks / recipes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Do you log/record all your cooks and recipes

• Yes

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • No

Votes: 23 71.9%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have over 400 photos of my cooks in my phone (which I need to do load) then look something up and try to remember how I did it. :emoji_laughing: I's getting harder to do with age.

Warren
I know whatcha mean!

Sadly, yes. I’m a chronic tinkerer and I’ve never followed a recipe in my life (much to wife’s chagrin). I use recipes for ‘inspiration’ and can’t resist the urge to ‘make it my way’. There were failures of course (my famous pre-dinner line is “We might be ordering out for pizza”, although honestly that’s only happened a time or two) but countless times my wife sez: “You absolutely nailed it! Hope you remember what you did”.
Um, sort of.
Guess I’ve learned to take a few quick notes so I can nail it next time. I use AnyList to jot recipes & notes and a simple Notepad template I’ve refined over the years for longer cooks. There are ‘teaching moments’ in my notes, failures and successes alike.

Sadly, yes. I’m a chronic tinkerer and I’ve never followed a recipe in my life (much to wife’s chagrin). I use recipes for ‘inspiration’ and can’t resist the urge to ‘make it my way’. There were failures of course (my famous pre-dinner line is “We might be ordering out for pizza”, although honestly that’s only happened a time or two) but countless times my wife sez: “You absolutely nailed it! Hope you remember what you did”.
Um, sort of.
Guess I’ve learned to take a few quick notes so I can nail it next time. I use AnyList to jot recipes & notes and a simple Notepad template I’ve refined over the years for longer cooks. There are ‘teaching moments’ in my notes, failures and successes alike.
HA! Thats how I use recipes as well. Like a starting place to zig and zag from based on what we like.

I certainly Do!
I have three children ( as well as other family members) who constantly call me for advice on preparing anything from:

What internal temp. . .To . . .Pizza, Canning, Sauces, Greek Dishes, Jerky, etc. etc. etc.
So, I prepared this for them for when I am no longer around.

I also have everything saved on this computer. But, you can't always rely on technology, so I have everything printed as hard copies for good measure.
Easier to fight over. . .LOL!

View attachment 688203
I have a spiral notebook for all of my sausage recipes. Our boys argue over who's going to get it in the will!

The bride said she'll just call Adam, Rick, and Steve and have them auction it off. :emoji_astonished:

Reactions: BandCollector
Pretty easy on this end as we only have one daughter. The nice part is I keep her mobile version (macgourmet) updated with all my recipes so she can always reference them when the need arises. 😎

Generally I do not. For better or worse…. Most meat cooks I do from memory and mods are based on what I have and what im feeling like. But recently I needed to find some sourdough add ins from the past and scored a big zero and had to start over. Not a big issue, just a slightly unnecessary PITA.

If you do log and record - what do you use?
If it's good I take pictures. that's it. never even measure rub recipes or amount. each one is different and usually for a different purpose. All depends om whim and what suits me.

I voted no, but I should. I did when making a new sauce, but nothing much else. It really burned me once.

A good few years ago I was having some beer and decided to make a pizza dough. I was just going to do one of my usual doughs but decided to try somethings and winged it, didn't take any notes. Two days later I fired up the pizza oven and made the best pizza of my life. Never been able to do it again.

Dave

Reactions: Culinary Otter
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky