Do Many ( If Any ) Do This ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fsa46

Original poster
Mar 13, 2020
Do any members cold smoke food that's already been cooked by other means for a short time, just to get the smoke flavor ?

Reactions: Will Squared
Me no, I never even thought about it.

Chris

Edit#1: Jcam I forgot about double smoked hams. So I guess it's a yes
Edit#2: Geeze I have to start actually reading and not skimming. Back to no. I also hot smoke hams like Chopsaw mentions below.

Last edited:
I do a second smoke on some items labeled as 'smoked' such as turkey drumsticks, pork hocks and pork shanks. Here is a good example of a second smoke on some shanks I used in a batch of ham and beans, not only did I gain additional flavor, but I got some good color. This is probably 2 to 3 hours at 200° pit temp.
5QTMeUB.jpg

When outdoor temperatures allow I have cold smoked ribs, chicken and store bought bacon then cooked them in the oven, Instant Pot or frying pan. It’s the opposite of what your doing but if I don’t have time to smoke meat conventionally this will add a gentle smoke flavour. Just have to keep your smoker temperature around fridge temperature unless you plan on cooking immediately.

Reactions: fsa46 and chopsaw
yes, I have done steaks,pork chops,and chicken. adds a whole new level to the steaks once you warm them up. Not like smoking the meats from the start but it gives the meat a "hint" of smoke.

That's exactly what I am referring to. "Thank You"

I have done what you are saying in reverse. smoke for a while and finish cooking it or reheat a smoked item such as ribs. smoke a few hours wrap and hour and then when its time to cover in thin layer of sauce and heat for a half hour and the smokeyness comes out stronger.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Reactions: fsa46
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky