Did I mess up?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nygiant

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 25, 2015
VA
So I smoked some chicken breast on my WSM a few hours ago. I got it up to around 425 because I had the door open on the side before I put the chicken on so it got hot. Ended up smoking chicken around 325 after I closed the door.

Shut all vents down while eating because I am smoking a butt over night. Since I smoked the chicken at such a high temp, all the coals in the ring were burning. I do minion method when cooking butts. Usually have a small crater in the middle of the coals and add lit coals in the middle.

Well since all the coals had been on fire there was no doing that. So I added a bunch of hickory chunks and a bunch of kingsford on top of all the burning coals. Is that a problem? Seems to be putting off a lot more white smoke than normal. I assume since all the coals underneath are lit versus just coals in the middle like I usually do.

Since I've been typing this the smoker temp is at 253 and the thick white smoke has subsided SOME. Did I mess up or just let it do its thing and put the butt on?

Am I over thinking this and being a little paranoid?

Need some quick help because I gotta get this thing on.

Last edited:
You didn't mess up. Cold Kingsford puts off a lot of smoke. The added chunks put off a lot of smoke. Might take an hour or more to settle down.

Ok thanks so much. It did settle down. Glad I left the meat off until it did.

You are fine. Minion gives off wht smoke too as the coals lite. Not so much because a few light at a time. Dump a pile of charcoal and wood on and lots more coals start the same time. Lots more wht smoke. White smoke gives a nasty flavor over hours not 30 minutes of so....JJ

Reactions: nygiant
You are fine. Minion gives off wht smoke too as the coals lite. Not so much because a few light at a time. Dump a pile of charcoal and wood on and lots more coals start the same time. Lots more wht smoke. White smoke gives a nasty flavor over hours not 30 minutes of so....JJ

Thanks chef....that makes sense. Just got a little freaked out because I've never done it like that before.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky