Dehydrating Sourdough Starter

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
A lady asked me if she could buy some starter from me.
I said no.
But I will give you some.

I have 3 trays going.
IMG_4435.JPG

IMG_4438.JPG

IMG_4448.JPG

I've sent my S. D. Starter to several people here on the forum. I spread it thin and place it in the oven with just the oven light on to dry it. It takes a few days to a week to dry it, then I grind it into a powder using a coffee grinder. I rehydrate it at least 5 - 7 days before cooking with it, if you don't it won't be very sour tasting, but it will work in a pinch.

Reactions: JLeonard
I do pretty much the same thing, my dehydrator came with solid sheets which makes it easy to spread the starter. Over the years I have sent many a package all over North America. I do keep a few in the freezer just in case my active starter dies on me but I have never had that happen yet.

Reactions: JLeonard
I'm not a baker, per se', but watch an unimaginable amount of cooking shows. I've always wondered where the starter came from, as the baking chefs always add one to the cauldron before mixing. My only goal is to somehow come up with the perfect pizza dough.
Have you tried this recipe? Its my go to recipe for pizza dough

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
It will last for years as long as you keep it from sunlight, moisture.

I'm going to dehydrate more.

My process is pretty much like what forktender forktender does.
I dry in oven, grind in coffee grinder, then vacuum seal 20g in a bag, and into the freezer.

Don't do sourdough often, but when I do it's usually binge baking for 4 or 5 days.
Hit everything. Breads, pancakes/waffles, cookies, etc. Going to try sourdough banana bread next time thanks to BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker 's thread on it.

thanks, i might give
Have you tried this recipe? Its my go to recipe for pizza dough
thanks, might give it a go. I'm perpetually lazy, despite making my own sauce, and usually buy the dough balls from the italian bakery next door.

Can I have a little more info on re-hydrating the starter. If I ever get mine to mature I'm definately going to put some in dry storage before something happens and I have to start over.

Can I have a little more info on re-hydrating the starter. If I ever get mine to mature I'm definately going to put some in dry storage before something happens and I have to start over.
Just rehydrate at 1:1:1
Say you have 20g dry starter
Add 20g filtered water or bottled
20g whatever flour you like.
That the ratio until your starter gets active which could take a few days. When you get active with bubbles and it has doubled then discard and do 1:1:1 again. You might need to do this for 7-10 days until it starts to really double or triple.

Then try 1:2:2
20g starter
40g water
40g flour

Keep you starter jar in a bowl for over flow

Yup, if you have real active starter it will only take one or two feedings to get it going again. Ones I sent up to Alaska only took one feeding and it was good to go.

Decided to dry some myself since we are on the subject. Took back my one cup and the rest in the dehydrator.
Starting out:
H1S13rY.jpg

Next morning:
1O01YBa.jpg

And into the dehydrator till tomorrow some time, maybe a bit longer as I spread it on pretty thick.
utmgyhJ.jpg

I wish my dehydrator had those solid trays, I just have covers with dinky dinky holes in it that sits on the trays.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky