Curing sausage and seems to be growing mold?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

FuntonMeats

Original poster
Feb 6, 2024
Been curing sausage in my cantina. They have been in for around 8 days. They seem to be growing some sort of mold and I cant find another picture/description of it online. Can anyone help with what this may be?

Attachments

• IMG_5137.jpeg
    IMG_5137.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5138.jpeg
    IMG_5138.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 41
Clean those sausages ASAP! fuzzy thick mold like that is bad news. Good thing is, only been 8 days so still salvageable. Your humidity is likely too high, or your airflow is too slow and you have too much moisture lingering on the surface that is promoting bad mold growth. If you did not innoculate with a beneficial mold culture like mold-600, then target a humidity level of around 70%, with around 4" per second of air flow....any higher humidity will promote wild mold growth.

** Clean all the sausages with a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water immediately. Then rehang and dry with a fan until the surface of each sausage is dry but still slightly tacky. Do not over dry.....then reduce airspeed to 4" per second....

Last edited:
Reactions: JLinza
Recipe?! Starter culture used? Your
Environment where sausage is being cured ? indaswamp indaswamp should be able to help
Pepper paste, sea salt, fennel pollen, pork shoulder.

** Clean all the sausages with a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water immediately. Then rehang and dry with a fan until the surface of each sausage is dry but still slightly tacky. Do not over dry.....then reduce airspeed to 4" per second....
We are cleaning with vinegar now. Only issue is that mother nature is not on its regular course (in Toronto, Ontario. Canada)

The reading is 10.5 degrees celcius and humidity is at 60%.
The only place we have to move thats actually cold is our fridge but we couldnt hang them in there.

My father is stacking them in a bucket right now, not letting them touch and seperating layers with paper towel.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

We are cleaning with vinegar now. Only issue is that mother nature is not on its regular course (in Toronto, Ontario. Canada)

The only place we have to move thats actually cold is our fridge but we couldnt hang them in there.

My father is stacking them in a bucket right now, not letting them touch and seperating layers with paper towel.

It is also supposed to get warmer during this week so we feel the cantina temperature is probably not adequate

10.5*C is plenty cold enough. Ideal is 13.2*C. Colder than that slows moisture removal...i.e. diffusion of water within the sausages is slowed down as temperature drops.

I would suspect that airflow is the issue and moisture is not being evaporated at a fast enough rate. One trick is to hang a piece of cotton butchers twine 3-4 feet (90-120cm) long in the area next to where the sausages hang. The the end hanging should only move in about 1/8" (3mm) circle for the proper airflow. Adjust airflow either by adjusting air speed or moving the fan closer/father away until proper string movement is noticed...

Last edited:
10.5*C is plenty cold enough. Ideal is 13.2*C. Colder than that slows moisture removal...i.e. diffusion of water within the sausages is slowed down as temperature drops.

I would suspect that airflow is the issue and moisture is not being evaporated at a fast enough rate. One trick is to hang a piece of cotton butchers twine 3-4 feet (90-120cm) long in the area next to where the sausages hang. The the end hanging should only move in about 1/8" (3mm) circle for the proper airflow. Adjust airflow either by adjusting air speed or moving the fan closer/father away until proper string movement is noticed...
Thank you so much for the insight! We will try this out and get some better air circulation. I really appreciate your time and responses!!

Reactions: indaswamp

i was more or less looking for actual percentages your using as far as cure, salt, sugar, and starter cultures?

Reactions: indaswamp
Hey fellas! Just wanted to update since what we learned here seemed to help exponentially!

We cleaned the sausages, got some air flow in the room and they are looking much much better.
The help was very much appreciated! Thank you guys

Attachments

• IMG_5222.jpeg
    IMG_5222.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5223.jpeg
    IMG_5223.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 22
This forum, and the people in it, absolutely RULE!

Posts like this are what keep me coming back every day. Good folks helping others.

This forum, and the people in it, absolutely RULE!

Posts like this are what keep me coming back every day. Good folks helping others.
For real! It wouldve been so unfortunate to lose all that sausage and because of the help here it should be a great outcome!

So grateful!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky