Cured loin isn't pink

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Omnivore

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
I recently dry cured a 2 pound piece of pork loin that I had sliced in half so the halves were about an inch thick. I used the digging dog farm calculator with 1.75% salt, 1% sugar and the default cure #1. The loin halves cured for 7 days and were then rinsed and sat uncovered in the fridge for a night. I smoked them at 250F until the IT was 150F. My questions are: is it safe to eat and why didn't the loin have any pink to it? What did I do wrong here?

Thank you for any insight!
PXL_20230628_185027479.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
I think you are there too, especially looking at that the little piece of the outer muscle, they have a different amount of myoglobin and take cure differently. I'll post a photo of some cured loins that are lighter in color.

Looks good to me . When you have all lean it can look " white " or pink .
Just going by the look . I don't know your cure mix , but I say you're good .

BTW . That looks great . Love the color .

Here are some photos to compare. The first two photos are from the rib end of a cured loin and you can see more of the outside muscle.
rNSueQw.jpg

pLnfSvS.jpg

This is a pack of rib end, and center cut cured loin.
DmQU0B8.jpg

And this is a cured loin chop, it is still warm and looks a little pinker.
HG4ZNvI.jpg

These loins were some sort of heritage breed and really took on a pink color.
moHhzCG.jpg

Reactions: JC in GB
Looks LIGHT pink to me. How thick? Loin does not have as much myglobin as other cuts and is lighter. I say good to go for sure as it was cooked.
I looked at a fresh slice in different lighting and you're right, it does look light pink. I was just picturing it coming out like Canadian bacon. Thank you for the help.

I think you are there too, especially looking at that the little piece of the outer muscle, they have a different amount of myoglobin and take cure differently. I'll post a photo of some cured loins that are lighter in color.
Thank you! You're, right the "dark meat" definitely has a pink hue.

Looks good to me . When you have all lean it can look " white " or pink .
Just going by the look . I don't know your cure mix , but I say you're good .

BTW . That looks great . Love the color .
Thanks! I was just kinda surprised but it has the slightest pink hue and a good texture so I'm happy with it.
Appreciate the compliment. I usually use my pellet tube but figured this would just be a few hours so I used some random hickory chips in the MES for the first time in years

Here are some photos to compare. The first two photos are from the rib end of a cured loin and you can see more of the outside muscle.
View attachment 669025
View attachment 669026
This is a pack of rib end, and center cut cured loin.
View attachment 669027
And this is a cured loin chop, it is still warm and looks a little pinker.
View attachment 669028
These loins were some sort of heritage breed and really took on a pink color.
View attachment 669029
I really appreciate all the photos. That was super helpful to compare!

Looks good to me. I say eat up!
Thank you!

^^^^^^^^This!
Thank you!

Cured loin has only a slight pinkish color, and I see it in yours ,so I'd call it good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky