Crispy New Year's Eve Wings Smoke and Fired on the Broilmaster Gasser

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My grill gets to maybe 450-500 most days. It's a cheapie. When I cook wings on it, I do 30-40 minutes on each side on the grates, no rack, at medium to low flame so it doesn't flare up. I watch them the whole time and move around 1-2 times per side before turning. When done they're good tasting, but wither burned or not crispy. I use olive oil as binder to hold the rub. Similar thing happens if I smoke them first in Smoker for an hour then finish on Grill.

My grill gets to maybe 450-500 most days. It's a cheapie. When I cook wings on it, I do 30-40 minutes on each side on the grates, no rack, at medium to low flame so it doesn't flare up. I watch them the whole time and move around 1-2 times per side before turning. When done they're good tasting, but wither burned or not crispy. I use olive oil as binder to hold the rub. Similar thing happens if I smoke them first in Smoker for an hour then finish on Grill.
Mike, I have never had good luck cooking chichen directly over fire on the grill. The fat is just too flammable. Try putting a drip pan (put some water in it or the fat will burn in the pan) under the grates either on a cool side of the grill or low heat side. Then put the wings (with out a rack like mine) on the grill and run the grill to 350-450 degrees skin side up. No need to turn them other than to rotate them away from the hot side. They will crisp nicely (if you need to protect them a little, I build a shield with heavy Aluminum foil doubled over a few times and make a "wall" between the hot side of the grill and the chicken. (sometimes the "indirect" heat is still too much for the flammable skin and it will burn).

This is how I do my spatchcock chicken on the Broilmaster. I will post some pics of that type of cook sometime soon.

Dennis

Reactions: MJB05615
OK, I can try this method. I'l let you know how it goes. Prob in the next couple of weeks. Thanks Dennis.

Might be a stupid question. What is that rack you are using to hold wings in place? Haven't seen one before and am now realizing how bad quality my homemade wings are...

Your wings look delicious

Hello Gold.. and thanks for the feedback. As mentioned, it is a "Rib Rack". Thin hoops of stainless steel. Have not seen this version in the store for some time. HD has one that is black and much thicker hoops...works ok as it is my back up to the one in this picture.

Happy Cooking!

Dennis

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky