Crispy New Year's Eve Wings Smoke and Fired on the Broilmaster Gasser

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

insight3fl

Original poster
Jan 26, 2014
SW Florida
While I have seen some great wings on the smokers here, I have always done my "hanging" wings on a hot grill; 30 years ago on the weber and now on the gas grill. I don't like the breaded or fried wings at the pub. These have crispy skin and all the flavor any way we want them. When I retired by Rib Rack many years ago, I turned it into the the "Wing Rack". I holds a family pack of wings, up to 15-16 nice ones. See the sequence of photos and my steps below:

season wings.jpg

After a bath under running water and a shake dry, seasoning goes on the underside to prevent burning the seasonings.
Your choice, but SPOG and this time some "Rotisserie Chicken Spice"

IMG_0258.JPG

Rib rack secured on top of foil pan with binder clips

on the rack.jpg

Just a touch of seasoning on top. Fill the pan with a couple cups of water to prevent fat burn
I used a second pan underneath as I re use them many times and sometimes they leak!

on low .jpg

On the grill. Low heat both burners. Smoke box with Cherry pellets and Orange wood chunks
Close the lid and wait 45 minutes

finished on high .jpg

Last 30 minutes on high. Last 5 minutes, quick spritz of spray oil and dash of seasoning

off the grill.jpg

Ready to cut up and into the sauce bowl. But Wait, we need to make the sauce and Blue
Cheese and Celery...... Note that many times I will just eat them off the grill with no sauce
just that cripy crunchy skin and seasoned meat.

blue cheese.jpg

The label says "chunky" but not until I put half a container of real Blue Cheese in it!!

blue.jpg

Now it is really Chunky Blue Cheese for my wings!

start sauce.jpg

The sauce starts with butter of course and your choices of hot sauce... then a few finishing touches.

adds.jpg

Already in the pan is the hot sauce, a little honey, a little BBQ sauce and finally garlic powder, now stir and heat

ready.jpg

Stir on medium heat until silky and turn to low for 5 minutes

sauced.jpg

Tossed with Sauce, ready to eat!!

plated.jpg

Served with Celery and real chunky blue cheese!

yes they are good.jpg

Cooked perfect; tastes even better. I hope you enjoyed them!!

Man oh man...that is one fantastic looking batch of wings. Plated shot looks great also but I need a huge bowl of the chunky blue cheese dressing to dunk the wings themselves into. Whenever I get them at a pub I always ask for an extra bowl of the dressing. Sadly I can't cook them here as Tracy can't eat chicken due to being allergic to the stuff...bummer.

Robert

• Sad
Reactions: chef jimmyj
Wow great looking wings like the whole deal you have going on.

Warren
Thanks Warren. Been doing them for many years.. took a few extra steps and unlike a weekday dinner rush ...... I slowed down the cooking time and increased the smoke time for this batch.

Man oh man...that is one fantastic looking batch of wings. Plated shot looks great also but I need a huge bowl of the chunky blue cheese dressing to dunk the wings themselves into. Whenever I get them at a pub I always ask for an extra bowl of the dressing. Sadly I can't cook them here as Tracy can't eat chicken due to being allergic to the stuff...bummer.

Robert
Thanks Robert. I do them at least every couple of weeks. This batch was for me as the Mrs. has been out of the country visiting Momma in Bogota. So, there are 6 in the vacuum bag in the freezer and a box of 5 waiting for her lunch upon return home tomorrow!

Really creative use of the Rib Rack! The wings look really good. I'm with you on the Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing, not heing anywhere near chunky enough!...JJ

Really creative use of the Rib Rack! The wings look really good. I'm with you on the Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing, not heing anywhere near chunky enough!...JJ
Thanks Jimmy. The challenge is doing them in larger quantity for large parties or family events. I have used two of the racks on top of a cooking rack over the full size chafing dish foil pan. But not stable and a challenge to handle. I designed a stainless steel rack that would sit perfectly INSIDE the large foil pan and hold 35 wings, but the metal shops here want over $150 to build it so it is still on my wish list right now.

Thats pretty stiff. It seems to me...You need a Bigger Grill or a Vertical Pellet Smoker that has More shelves, to hold Rib Racks of Wings!...JJ

While I have seen some great wings on the smokers here, I have always done my "hanging" wings on a hot grill; 30 years ago on the weber and now on the gas grill. I don't like the breaded or fried wings at the pub. These have crispy skin and all the flavor any way we want them. When I retired by Rib Rack many years ago, I turned it into the the "Wing Rack". I holds a family pack of wings, up to 15-16 nice ones. See the sequence of photos and my steps below:

View attachment 478038
After a bath under running water and a shake dry, seasoning goes on the underside to prevent burning the seasonings.
Your choice, but SPOG and this time some "Rotisserie Chicken Spice"

View attachment 478039

Rib rack secured on top of foil pan with binder clips

View attachment 478040

Just a touch of seasoning on top. Fill the pan with a couple cups of water to prevent fat burn
I used a second pan underneath as I re use them many times and sometimes they leak!

View attachment 478043
On the grill. Low heat both burners. Smoke box with Cherry pellets and Orange wood chunks
Close the lid and wait 45 minutes

View attachment 478044

Last 30 minutes on high. Last 5 minutes, quick spritz of spray oil and dash of seasoning

View attachment 478045

Ready to cut up and into the sauce bowl. But Wait, we need to make the sauce and Blue
Cheese and Celery...... Note that many times I will just eat them off the grill with no sauce
just that cripy crunchy skin and seasoned meat.

View attachment 478046

The label says "chunky" but not until I put half a container of real Blue Cheese in it!!

View attachment 478047
Now it is really Chunky Blue Cheese for my wings!

View attachment 478048

The sauce starts with butter of course and your choices of hot sauce... then a few finishing touches.

View attachment 478049

Already in the pan is the hot sauce, a little honey, a little BBQ sauce and finally garlic powder, now stir and heat

View attachment 478050

Stir on medium heat until silky and turn to low for 5 minutes

View attachment 478055
Tossed with Sauce, ready to eat!!

View attachment 478056

Served with Celery and real chunky blue cheese!

View attachment 478057

Cooked perfect; tastes even better. I hope you enjoyed them!!
WOW----unreal.

OK Teacher Mike..How do I make my wings look like that? Gas grill or smoker....Send directions Sir! (please)
This is one area in which I cannot get my wings crispy. I have done them on Smoker, no luck. Grill, no luck.
The oven is the only thing not tried yet. I may try the Air Fryer next, lol. My Smoker is an MES 40 and doesn't go above 275', that may be part of the reason. Crispy skin needs some much higher heat.

This is one area in which I cannot get my wings crispy. I have done them on Smoker, no luck. Grill, no luck.
The oven is the only thing not tried yet. I may try the Air Fryer next, lol. My Smoker is an MES 40 and doesn't go above 275', that may be part of the reason. Crispy skin needs some much higher heat.
The weber used to do a similar job on the crispy part.... at one point many years ago I was inclined to get that skin in a bag like pork rinds! But on the Broilmaster Gas Grill, low both burners is no less than 300 degrees. High gets upwards to 700! If I am not careful they can burn pretty quickly. I usually heat the grill with the smoker box and then put the wings on and turn it to medium. I wanted more smoke this time and slower cook, and it prove to be one of the best controlled wing cook I have done in quite a while. I put them on right away on "low". fired up the smoke box and waited until they were lightly browned (first image on the grill) before I turned the heat up higher to finish.

Thanks again for all of the feedback and positive comments.

Reactions: MJB05615
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky