Creating Smoke with my smoker - how much and how long?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cubsfanaz

Original poster
May 24, 2009
Used my Kenmore Gas Smoker for the first time today. Smoked some baby back ribs using the 2-2-1 method, and I was quite impressed. They came out moist, tender and tasty. However, over the course of the day, I realized I have a few questions. I tried finding this info in the forums, but didn't really see anything..

I used Hickory wood chips to smoke. I soaked them in water for 20 minutes prior to smoking. However, I found that after a little over an hour, there was really no more smoke being generated. I took the tin containing the wood chips out, and once a little air got to them, they started smoking more. Still, I added more chips about every 1.5 hours.

I guess my basic questions are when smoking, should there be smoke the entire time? Should I have to add wood chips every hour or so? Also, at the store I saw bags with larger pieces of wood, should I use them instead? Any info in helping out this newbie is appreciated.

Thanks.

Chunks usually last longer than chips. You will have to add chips thru the smoke most of the time. Remember tho you don't have to see smoke if you can smell it so can the meat. I pretty much keep the smoke going anytime stuff isn't foiled.

I don't soak wood chips or chunks...it only stalls the smoke process.

As for length of actual smoking required, I use the following: ribs, no more than 3 hours, roasts, birds (any large piece of meat), I stop the smoke shortly after an internal temperature of 140-145*.

I've mainly been using chunks for the past year or 2, and get slower/longer periods of smoke with them, instead of chips.

Keep the smoke thin and blue. If it's white/heavy, it can cause a bitter taste in your food.

Hope this helps you out.

Eric

Thanks for this info. I am thinking I am going to try some wood chunks next weekend.

Also good to know that you don't really have to see any smoke at all. I could still smell it, just didn't see it at all.

One last question, the little tin that comes with the smoker to hold the wood is probably about 5"x5" square. It has a removable top on it with 6 slits in teh top so the smoke can escape. Is there really any reason to leave this top on the tin?

Thanks again.

Yes it keeps it from flaring up. You can replace the whole thing with a bigger one or a cake pan with foil over it and holes punched in the foil

Good deal. Thanks for the info. Might have to get one a little larger if I use the chunks....not sure how well they would fit.

Thanks again!

The Lowe's by me has a rectangular stainless chip pan with lid that works great and its about 10 bucks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky