Continuing The Dino Rib Trend: Dinner For Friends (Heavy Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
This meal was actually planned before the recent trend hit the forum but it just took a while to come to fruition. Finally the stars aligned and we made it happen. I got this order of Dino ribs (aka beef chuck short ribs) just before I finished up building the cabinet smoker and planned for this to be the first real get-together and BBQ session with a few friends. Kept the crowd small with a total of 6 people but some of our best friends.

The ribs. These 2 racks, 8 ribs total, weighed in at just over 10 pounds. That's an average of just over 1 1/4 pound per rib. These things are pretty big :emoji_wink:
006.jpg

Seasoned up with Sazon Goya, black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.
007.jpg

Got the smoker dialed in at 250 and it stayed within 2 degrees either way all day.
010.jpg

Ribs on at 8:00 Saturday morning. I'm anticipating about an 8 hour cook
008.jpg

Yes ladies and gentlemen, this is what we live for
009.jpg

At the 3 hour mark. They are already starting to draw up and get thick. Some enormous ribs!! (2 pics)
011.jpg

012.jpg

Made a batch of 4-cheese bacon and jalapeno mac & cheese
013.jpg

At the 6 hour mark. Starting to get some really nice pull back (2 pics)
014.jpg

015.jpg

Time to put the mac & cheese on
016.jpg

Smoked the mac & cheese for an hour and a half. Brought it in the house, mixed it up real good, topped with more cheese sauce, more mozz, and more bacon. Cover with foil then back onto the smoker
017.jpg

Appetizers. Rick and Susan brought some veggies, dip, and a Mexican bean dip with chips. I put together a platter with some Amish mustard eggs, pickled sausage, smoked cheeses, and crackers.
018.jpg

My guess for timing was right on. 8 hours and they probe nice and tender so into the house to get happy for a few minutes. I am thrilled with the way these look and the aroma is amazing!!
019.jpg

Slice these babies up. They are like beef cotton candy. So tender and juicy
020.jpg

Close up
021.jpg

Mac & cheese all done
022.jpg

The whole spread. Matthew and Jonathan brought some slaw and I put together a batch of beans. Not a whole lot of offerings but this was plenty.
024.jpg

I'm always last through the chow line. Finally got my plate put together, walked out to the patio, and it appears as though folks are enjoying the meal
025.jpg

Finally and alas....my plate
026.jpg

Needless to say, I am loving this smoker. Could not have been a better meal. Weather was gorgeous, good friends, and the food was outstanding across the board. Was a long wait cooking these ribs but well worth it. The Sazon Goya I used as the base seasoning was fantastic!! It penetrated well into the meat to add a nice subtle spiciness and the other seasonings created a bark that was off the charts. As has been the norm with me recently, nothing fancy but this was just good backyard Texas BBQ. Simple offerings prepared correctly and we were in heaven. Maybe it had just been a while since cooking these but the general consensus across the board was that this was my best effort to date. Another one that was as easy as it gets: no mopping, no baste, no sauce, no wrap, just seasoning and let them go.

Another one that's gone on long enough but a couple of you said to blow it up in here so I did :emoji_laughing: Take care and we'll be seeing you again shortly...especially if tonight's dinner comes out as planned :emoji_wink:

Robert

Boy howdy, beef ribs are my favorite meat to smoke and eat, and you nailed them Robert! Nice pull-back and bark, juicy as could be, gotta love it! RAY

Man oh man you did those ribs justice. I don't think they could have turned out any better! Looks like everyone had a great time. Did you have the obligatory after dinner concert?

Robert I think this meal calls for one of your own descriptors. EPIC, man does that whole meal look delicious.

Point for sure
Chris

Wow! Awesome meal and those ribs look incredible! Couldn’t think of a better setting either! Thank you for continuing the demolition Robert😀

That’s one fine meal! Your smoker is really working out well for you. Still blows my mind that you just essentially woke up one day and decided to build some smokers lol. That Sazon is indispensable in the kitchen and so useful well outside Mexican dishes.

Reactions: xray
Well Robert, my friend, those look absolutely spectacular. Actually, it all looks spectacular. You done good, real good. Getting your close friends together for this is so special and I'm sure much appreciated. Very nice work, buddy...

I think you got your smoker dialed in Robert. Everything looks great and i bet your friends enjoyed it immensely.

Holy Crap Robert, that is just perfect! I can’t believe your guests stood by while you took pics. Oh and since it’s currently snowing outside at our place, I have to say I’m a little bit jelly of the outside eats and short sleeves!!

• Haha
Reactions: Brokenhandle
Wow! Those are some fantastic looking beef ribs! You nailed those with the new smoker and I’m sure nobody went home hungry. Great food, great friends, great time.

Boy howdy, beef ribs are my favorite meat to smoke and eat, and you nailed them Robert! Nice pull-back and bark, juicy as could be, gotta love it!
Very much appreciate the kind words my friend. Tracy used to only want pork ribs until these came into our lives. I'm with you that they are just fantastic!!
another WOW. That all looks killer Robert! another big win!
Thanks so much Dave. This was a fun cook, a good meal, a good time, and an overall great day.
Man oh man you did those ribs justice. I don't think they could have turned out any better! Looks like everyone had a great time. Did you have the obligatory after dinner concert?
Thank you John. I only opened the smoker door twice the entire time so it was a pleasant surprise to see the final product. Unfortunately Susan was not feeling 100% so we had to forego the concert this time :emoji_disappointed:

Robert

Robert I think this meal calls for one of your own descriptors. EPIC, man does that whole meal look delicious.
Thanks Chris. Due to a friendly conversation with an unnamed forum member, I've not used that descriptor for well over a year :emoji_wink: I do appreciate it though...as well as the "points for sure" :emoji_laughing: Your comments made me LOL though. I'd forgotten all about that.
Wow! Awesome meal and those ribs look incredible! Couldn’t think of a better setting either! Thank you for continuing the demolition Robert
Thanks so much my friend. I'm not sure what you're referencing about "continuing the demolition" (blowing up the forum perhaps??) but being that you've never made a negative comment I can only guess it is intended in a positive way so I'll take it as a compliment :emoji_wink:
That’s one fine meal! Your smoker is really working out well for you. Still blows my mind that you just essentially woke up one day and decided to build some smokers lol. That Sazon is indispensable in the kitchen and so useful well outside Mexican dishes.
Thanks Jeff. Yes sir, that smoker is amazing. I just love cooking on it. As for the Sazon Goya, I have to agree. You turned me on to the stuff and since then, I'm finding more and ore ways to use it. The stuff is fantastic.

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: jcam222 and bauchjw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky