Cold smoking yellowfin .."Charlie the Tuna"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Louise Shotton

Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
Hello again, This is a 3 lb. yellowfin loin. It's a 3 day process that begins with a homemade cajun seasoning. Then, I had it in a dry brine for 2 days. After that, I rinsed it well and marinated "Charlie" in a Cognac flavoured with dehydrated tangerine rind, peppercorns and brown sugar for day 3. At this moment, I have it in my smoker to cold smoke it. I skipped a few obvious steps to shorten my story.. I'll post the outcome when I'm done.

Attachments

• IMG_0134.JPG
    IMG_0134.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0135.JPG
    IMG_0135.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0136.JPG
    IMG_0136.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0140.JPG
    IMG_0140.JPG
    261.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0145.JPG
    IMG_0145.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0154.JPG
    IMG_0154.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: kruizer
I don't believe I've ever heard of someone cold smoking Tuna before, I'll be watching! RAY

Looks good. Can't wait to see the final product. Do you recognize the cognac taste when is all done and finished? I've tried vodka smoked salmon, brandy soaked dry meats...i can never taste it.

Looks good. Can't wait to see the final product. Do you recognize the cognac taste when is all done and finished? I've tried vodka smoked salmon, brandy soaked dry meats...i can never taste it.
I am sorry for not answering. I had to wait 3 days to show my results. I had finished the smoking then I wrapped the loin and let it rest for three days in the fridge..No, I didn't taste any cognac but there an awesome citrus scent when I unwrapped today. This was well worth making.
IMG_0170.JPG

Very nice. How do you serve it? Sliced thin?
I use the tuna in different ways. I substitute ham in a carbonara for example. It does not have a fishy taste. For serving today , I'll broil baguette brushed with olive oil and then dress it with a slice of tomato tuna on top. I slice the tuna 1/4 inch thick and for salmon, paper thin.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky