Cold Smoking Salmon, Fresh vs Frozen?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gooden123

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 29, 2017
Hi all,

Well my plan is to cold smoke sockeye salmon using a pretty basic brine containing dq pink salt. My only question is that my salmon is fresh, wild and never frozen. I have been under the impression that you want it flash frozen at least to kill the harmful stuff and to help the drying process. Can I accomplish almost the same thing if I stick it in my freezer for say a week? Or should I just leave it fresh? Thanks in advance!

Personally, I'd prefer to freeze it first for at least a couple weeks plus before thawing and smoking, just to help get rid of any surviving critter.   Since all of my smoked salmon is more like finger foods and not a dinner entrée, I really don't mind if its already been frozen.  Besides with the amount of Salmon the wife and I catch, there's no way I could mentally think of smoking fresh fish, when I have two freezers full of fish waiting for the smoker.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your fast reply. Yes I'm basically following bbally's lox recipe so this would be a finger food too. Do I need to do anything special before freezing it or just put the fillets in there wrapped in butcher paper (skin is still on but I'll remove that and tail/belly too before brining). And should I just thaw it in the refrigerator?

Last edited:
Do you have a vacuum sealer?  It will help preserve all meats while frozen.  Yes, I always give the fish 2 whole days in the fridge to thaw.  Tues eve I put out 8# of salmon in the mini fridge to thaw so I could smoke it today, which I did of course.

When using bballys recipe, I always freeze the lox after it's done for at least 1 week below 10 degrees.

This will kill any parasites that may still be present.

Al

Yes I have a vacuum sealer. This coming week is when I have the time and weather to do this so I kind of don't want to wait 2 weeks. If freezing after is as safe I'll do that. One more question. Do you freeze the finished fillets whole or slice first SmokinAl?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky