CI Grilled Skillet Tacos (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
I did two grilled skillet dishes back to back. The sausage skilletini was posted in another thread that seems to have gotten a few folks considering the smaller CI skillets and wondering about other things to manipulate into a good meal in them. I had no intention at all of posting this until I saw so much interest in other things to make in this manner. This one goes out our good friend Ray sawhorseray sawhorseray who showed the first interest, and to the other folks who chimed in. It is a rendition of tacos but done in a totally different manner..and it was really good :emoji_wink:

Start with the ground beef
001.jpg

Brown it, drain off the grease, and add seasonings along with a bit of water
003.jpg

While this is going on cut up some veggies; Roma tomatoes, green onions, jalapenos, and a Serrano pepper
002.jpg

Mix spices into the meat and add the veggies along with a nice shot of homemade smoked fire roasted salsa
005.jpg

Let the veggies cook down just a bit and add a handful of crunched up tortilla chips
007.jpg

Mix it all up real well and put into the 8" CI skillets
009.jpg

Close up
010.jpg

Pile on a bunch of extra sharp cheddar cheese
011.jpg

Onto the grill
012.jpg

I covered them with the pizza dome. Grill running about 375* and 20 minutes or so later....
013.jpg

You can top these with more salsa, guacamole, sour cream, or anything you want. I did put a bunch of sour cream on mine but it was just an ugly application so I'm not gonna show y'all that one :emoji_astonished: These were extremely good and just a ton of fun!! We ate them almost like nachos: scooped up on tortilla chips. The best "tacos" I've eaten. Barring any extreme conditions, I'll never roll another taco in a soft tortilla. May serve torts on the side with some things, but this will be our go-to for tacos going forward. Just an outstanding meal!!

Hope y'all enjoy this as much as we did,
Robert

Robert, that's making me hungry and I was already hungry from your other thread with the 8" cast irons lol! I need to get out the ones ive picked up used over the years and restore them. I think I might have at least one small one. Keep these CI threads coming! I love them!

Keep these CI threads coming! I love them!

If you insist. I just put two Ruben turnovers on the grill in the same CI skillets. Corned beef was left over from St. Patty's day and was homemade. These should be really good!! I just don't know if I should keep posting these types of meals. Folks might get tired of them.

Robert

I love it Robert, and I'll love it even more in two days when my 8" skillets arrive! This looks like something that might be a fairly easy beginning effort for me to start out with, Like. It's going to take a little experimentation on my part as the skillets are going to go over hot coals in the Weber kettle, should be a little fun learning how this is going to go. What the heck, even a mistake should be OK with a little guac and sour cream. RAY

They look real good Robert, keep ‘em coming because they are good ideas and inspiration for someone who may need an idea or two for dinner.

If you insist.

Yes I insist! Lol. I dont think we will get board with them as long as its different food each time. We all love to get new ideas to try out or build off off. Thats what it's all about. When I got home I dug out all the small cast iron stuff that i had picked up over the last few years. I have a bunch that I cleaned up and then never got around to seasoning. Apparently I had more than I thought. Two 8" wagner and 1 Griswold 8" snack skillet. And then an oval shaped one thats shallow like the snack skillet. And then 2 other ones that are even smaller. A round one and a square one. I had forgotten all about these. The Griswold has a machined finish on the inside. Now Im really excited to get these seasoned and put to use!
0323202006a.jpg
0323202007.jpg
0323202007a.jpg
0323202008.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky