Chipotle sausage Recipe????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coldgas

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 2, 2017
I am trying to put a recipe together for Chipotle sausage. I will be using a jalapeno cheddar sausage recipe but I don't know where to start if I replace the dried jalapeno with Chipotle powder.
Pork & Venison Sausage with Jalapeno and Cheese
Total Weight 100
#'s oz's.
Pork butt 45.00 720.00 45%
Venison 45.00 720.00 45%
Granulated Garlic 0.15 2.40 0.15%
Black Pepper 0.48 7.68 0.48%
Salt 1.8 28.80 1.80%
Sugar 0.50 8.00 0.50%
Dry Jalapenos 0.65 10.40 0.65%
Cheddar Cheese 8.50 136.00 8.50%
Water 3.50 56.00 3.50%
Cure 0.15 2.40 0.15%

Thanks

I am making link sausage but some people use it for both.

You don't want both jalapeno and chipotle do you? I would think not so I would just use the chipotle, how much is going to be a guess. I would think that 10 oz of dry jalapeno in 100 pounds of sausage isn't enough for me so the same amount of chipotle probably isn't enough.

If I was going to make 100 pounds of something without a know tried recipe I would start with a 10 pound batch and see how that tasted first. Ya you can cook some of the meat in a pan and give it a try but I find that it never tastes the same as stuffed cases that have set around in the freezer for a couple days or weeks, the hot always seems to come out more in the finished product after its set a while along with all the other spices.

A lot of this meat mixing and smoking is a guessing game as well as an individual taste thing and its hard for someone else to tell you what to do. I like heat and can handle some fairly hot stuff like its nothing but my heat would probably be to much for most people. Start small before you go sausage crazy.

Consider getting chipotles in adobo sauce like this, there are several brands:

8110XUHt6CL._SY450_.jpg

You'll need to RRRRRRRRR them in a blender. You might want to remove any seeds first. Coming from a can, they would add moisture, instead of powder, which would suck up moisture.

You don't want both jalapeno and chipotle do you? I would think not so I would just use the chipotle, how much is going to be a guess. I would think that 10 oz of dry jalapeno in 100 pounds of sausage isn't enough for me so the same amount of chipotle probably isn't enough.

If I was going to make 100 pounds of something without a know tried recipe I would start with a 10 pound batch and see how that tasted first. Ya you can cook some of the meat in a pan and give it a try but I find that it never tastes the same as stuffed cases that have set around in the freezer for a couple days or weeks, the hot always seems to come out more in the finished product after its set a while along with all the other spices.

A lot of this meat mixing and smoking is a guessing game as well as an individual taste thing and its hard for someone else to tell you what to do. I like heat and can handle some fairly hot stuff like its nothing but my heat would probably be to much for most people. Start small before you go sausage crazy.

I am doing a small batch. No way I'm doing 100 pounds of something I have not tried. I did not change the amount in the spreadsheet before I copied it.

Consider getting chipotles in adobo sauce like this, there are several brands:

8110XUHt6CL._SY450_.jpg

You'll need to RRRRRRRRR them in a blender. You might want to remove any seeds first. Coming from a can, they would add moisture, instead of powder, which would suck up moisture.
I thought about this and ended up buying powder already. Guess we will see how it comes out and may try that next time.

You could also try some chipotle hot sauces. I think the canned ones will do really well too. I haven't done either yet, but I have used the powder. Good for heat, but not a ton of flavor comes through.

I will be using a jalapeno cheddar sausage recipe but I don't know where to start if I replace the dried jalapeno with Chipotle powder.

Since a chipotle is a smoked jalapeno I would just use the same amount as the recipe calls for.
The cure amount in the recipe is low for a cured sausage, but might just be for finish color. What's the method in the recipe for cooking these?

Since a chipotle is a smoked jalapeno I would just use the same amount as the recipe calls for.
The cure amount in the recipe is low for a cured sausage, but might just be for finish color. What's the method in the recipe for cooking these?
Either fresh or add cure to smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky