Chex Mate!!! Nuts!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tt ace

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 21, 2011
Vadito, NM
No I was not playing chess! 
icon_biggrin.gif

We had eaten all of the snack mix I had smoked last week, so it was time to make more.  My wife had bought several different boxes of cereal squares to try some recipes she had found online.  I decided to make our own Everything Snack Mix.

078574d9_CIMG0091.jpg

First, in a large bowl, I put  2 cups each Corn Squares, Rice Squares, Wheat Squares, Multi Bran Squares, Honey Nut Squares and Cinnamon Squares.  To that I added 1 1/2 cup Mixed Nuts, 1 cup Peanuts, 1 cup bite size Pretzels and 1 cup garlic flavored bagel chips, broken into small pieces.

In a separate bowl I melted 1 stick of Butter.  I then stirred in 6 tablespoons of Worcestershire Sauce.  In previous snack mix smokes, in place of the spices, etc. called for in other recipes, I had added my New Mexico red chili rub.  My wife asked me to use the New Mexico Green Chili Rub this time.  I know better than to argue with my wife!! 
icon_wink.gif
  So I added 2 tablespoons of the green chili rub.  (Hint:  use your own favorite rub)

This mixture was then poured over the cereal mix and stirred to thoroughly coat everything.  Due to the amount of mix I separated the mix into two containers.  Note the holes in the pan to help smoke penetrate all the mix.  I punched several holes in the bottom of the foil pan also.

3391ae29_CIMG0095.jpg

The smoker was fired up to 250 with chunks of oak and mixed fruitwoods added ( I have used other wood with great success also).  The mixture was smoked for a hour, stirring about every 15 minutes.  The final result was a delicious, crunchy snack mix with a great smoky flavor.

bb5e363a_CIMG0096.jpg

However, I was not finished as we had also run out of smoked nuts.  The wife wanted me to smoke a mixture of almonds and walnuts this time.  Once again, I played it smart and bowed to her wishes.  I put 2 cups each of the nuts into a bowl.  I then made a double mix of a Jalapeno Smoked Nut mix.  Recipe as follows for a normal amount:

2 TBSP melted butter
2 TBSP + 2 tsp Tabasco green
pepper sauce
1-1/2 tsp Tabasco red pepper
sauce
1-1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

3/4 tsp granulated garlic
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard

2 cups whole natural almonds
In a mixing bowl, I combined the melted butter and all the seasonings, stirring until well mixed. The nuts were added and stirred thoroughly to coat.

4e4620f0_CIMG0099.jpg

1aadff0a_CIMG0101.jpg

The nuts were spread on a pizza pan with holes and a disposable cooking tray.

05f7b407_CIMG0104.jpg

The smoking heat was increased to about 300, mesquite and fruitwood chunks added, and the nuts were put into the smoker for about 45 minutes.  I stirred them about every 15 minutes again. 

d4dad10a_CIMG0110.jpg

Voila!  Jalapeno Smoked Nuts.  Try these.  They are not a hot as you would think.  There is just a nice spicy taste to them.  However, my wife and I agree that the almonds were great as usual but the walnuts were just average.

Both smokes were done with no water in the pan.

Now if I could just learn how to win at chess!!

Last edited:
The Snack mix sounds really great and a Must try...I'm with your Wife, I would go Green!...This just got moved to my favorite SMF Recipe file, thanks for the post...JJ

Those look great - I need to smoke some snack mix this week 

Smoking has turned out to be more than a hobby!!  It is now an obsession!!  Thank goodness my wife likes me to think and cook outside the box!!  Looks like I am doing brisket for the entire family for Christmas dinner and have an order for a smoked turkey for a local bed and breakfast.

Last edited:
Agree! I missed this thread apparently. Brings back childhood memories of this wonderful snack mix and now it has an adult twist in a way. Sounds awesome. I will be trying this very very soon.

Thanks for sharing, really this sounds great!

Glad everyone is liking this idea. We really love this and make it quite often. In fact my wife bought the makings for both the mix and the nuts. Time to go smoke!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky