Charcoal question - B&B

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
Good day all. I had an interesting experience happen this weekend with my BBQ cook and would like some feedback from the forum. I was of the idea that charcoal was pretty much charcoal and I found that Royal Oak or their other offshoot generic brands worked quite well for my cooks. I went to my local GFS to get a bag of the RO off brand briquettes that I usually use but their e-cash system was down so I was like damn, what now? Well, my local Ace hardware was open so I went there for a bag. After looking through the selection available, I decided to try the B&B competition Oak briquettes.

1679921553886.png

So, here is my impression of these briquettes. Number one, I love the smell of this charcoal when it burns. It is hard to explain but is has a clean smell with no trace of creosote smell.

I liked the length of time it burned and the end product was great.

So, here is my quandary. I have never ever seen anyone use this charcoal. Do pros use this in competition? Do any forum members use this charcoal? Anyway, sorry for the rambling but this really threw me for a loop. Here I thought charcoal was charcoal and I am ready to never buy another brand after trying this one.

Any thoughts from the forum on this brand? Thanks for any thoughts you may have on the issue.

JC :emoji_cat:

I do not know of B&B. In answer to your other questions; I believe different charcoals ARE different in quality and in the sizes you find in the bag. Some have large chunks, some have very small, some have a variety. Some burn quickly, some slow, etc. A great site to get an idea of all this by brand, go to https://nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm. I know, terrible name, great site. This is the best source I have found.

Good luck!

Kim

Reactions: JC in GB
B&B Oak is all I've used for the past three years, if not longer. Can't believe people haven't known about B&B, its available in all Ace Hardware and Academy stores in this neck of the woods.

And yeah, I get the impression that its pure charcoal because it burns with a nice aroma. It doesn't light very fast, which tells me nothing has been added to appeal to the impatient people. If I have any fault with it, its a bit hard to reuse because it crumbles, which also tells me it has no additives.

Its also sells at a good price at Academy, about $9 for 17 pound bag.

One other note - I have seen a few competition type folks say they like Kingsford as you can buy it anywhere and know what you are getting. If your notes and experience show X hours with Y kingsford that makes a lot of sense.

Another thought, B&B does not have near as much white smoke when starting as other brands. When firing up a chimney, there will be a bit of white smoke at the beginning but quickly thins out to blue.

I've wanted to try B&B, but the cost, and hastle of finding it keeps me from trying it. I've heard nothing but good things about it however.

I haven't tried it since it was purchased by Duraflame. Before then, it was great, and it appears it still is.

RO took a dive in quality during the shutdown. Not sure I'll ever use it again. I scratched Kingsford off my list several years ago after all the reformulations.

50 cents a pound is the max I'll pay for charcoal. B&B can hover around that price point when on sale.

I’ve been a huge fan of B&B lump for a couple years now. I have a half dozen bags of the briquettes you have I got in sale at Walmart a month ago. They were like 75% off. I mostly use some coal to start up the Lang. My buddy has share some food he did with them in his Masterbuilt gravity feed and it was awesome.

RO took a dive in quality during the shutdown.
Sure did . I bought some basic Kingsford and it burnt good . Got 8 hours from a snake setup in my 26 " kettle . I just won't buy in volume like I was .
I'll have to keep my eyes out for the B&B pellets.

You want to burn them in a tube . or did you get a pellet grill ?

Sure did . I bought some basic Kingsford and it burnt good . Got 8 hours from a snake setup in my 26 " kettle . I just won't buy in volume like I was .

You want to burn them in a tube . or did you get a pellet grill ?
Tube.

Reactions: chopsaw
My neighbor that competes in KCBS events only uses B&B briquettes in his 22" WSM's. I asked him about it and he said it is the best he has found. Didn't elaborate on why. I've been wanting to try it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky