Casings storage?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Timber II

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 15, 2023
Swamp east Missouri
So the butcher finally called and had some pork fatback ready. I picked up 10 lbs and after trimming the hide off the chunks ended up 7.5 lbs so I’m set for 3 more 10 lb experiments of sausage or keibasa.

I also bought a pack of casings 32-35 size and believe it’s a Hank and will do about 80 lbs of sausage. The bag is sealed. After I use what I need what’s the best way to store? Freeze?
Thanks again, been reading a bunch you all make some good looking stuff!
Timber

Follow this thread by Joe . Hands down the best way to store natural casings . I do both hog and sheep casings this way .

You boys are prob about to kill me w all the questions but….
How do you tell the difference between a wet salt brine VS a salt solution brine?

You boys are prob about to kill me w all the questions but….
How do you tell the difference between a wet salt brine VS a salt solution brine?
If we are talking about casings....easy.
Wet salt brine will look like wet sand....where as a salt solution brine, there will be liquid visible. salt solution is preferred for longtime storage at home.

Reactions: Timber II
There is a little liquid

Attachments

• IMG_3744.jpeg
    IMG_3744.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: indaswamp
You are good. I suggest transferring to a 2qt. bucket with a tight fitting snap on lid for long term storage. And add 3/4 cup of salt then fill the bucket up with water. The casings will be tied in a knot around the ring (so you can find them and keep them from turning into a big knot.) When you need them, you will be amazed how easily they 'should' untangle as you pull one out. may have to loosen a tangle or two by hand, but should not be too bad. Most times they pull right out with no issue.

I'm glad I saved my bucket from the sausage maker for this , because they don't come like that anymore . Read that disclaimer if you can see it .
20190302_113647.jpg
Should have 2 rings in there . A red and a white . One should hold the casings , and the other should be stamped with the size .
20190302_113705.jpg
I recently bought some hog casings from Syracuse casing . They're pre-tubed , which some see as a plus . I'm not one of them . I've already stripped half of them off the tubes and put in the bucket per Joe's info .

I'm glad I saved my bucket from the sausage maker for this , because they don't come like that anymore . Read that disclaimer if you can see it .
View attachment 680433
Should have 2 rings in there . A red and a white . One should hold the casings , and the other should be stamped with the size .
View attachment 680434
I recently bought some hog casings from Syracuse casing . They're pre-tubed , which some see as a plus . I'm not one of them . I've already stripped half of them off the tubes and put in the bucket per Joe's info .
Tried pre-tubed and ended up pulling them all off the tubes also. I find it easier to load the loose casings on the horn.

As far as storage, I make a brine with as much salt as will dissolve in a quart mason jar (keep adding salt and agitating until salt starts settling out, then you are at the max salt concentration for the water.) and keep that in the fridge.

Reactions: Timber II
Follow this thread by Joe . Hands down the best way to store natural casings . I do both hog and sheep casings this way .
I've done boykjo method a couple times. The first time i didn't use any for about a year and a half and they went bad. I think it was a combination of my fridge going bad and temps got above 40* and i didn't notice. Now i rinse and resalt every 6 months or so. I just resalted this morning and they look and smell great. They have been in the fridge for 3 years. I don't do sausages that much but like to have them on hand incase. I smoke whole meats, sticks and bacon most of the time. This is the best method i have tried for natural casings, easy to pull out singles and they stretch great. Its a little messing around for the first week or so but after that easy peesy

Reactions: cptnding
I've done boykjo method a couple times. The first time i didn't use any for about a year and a half and they went bad. I think it was a combination of my fridge going bad and temps got above 40* and i didn't notice. Now i rinse and resalt every 6 months or so. I just resalted this morning and they look and smell great. They have been in the fridge for 3 years. I don't do sausages that much but like to have them on hand incase. I smoke whole meats, sticks and bacon most of the time. This is the best method i have tried for natural casings, easy to pull out singles and they stretch great. Its a little messing around for the first week or so but after that easy peesy
3 years. That's great. Sounds like lots of folks are having very good results with storing casings this way.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky