Canadian Bacon (Step by Step—2015)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Bear, I'm subbing to this thread now because Canadian bacon is in my near future.

Our local Weis has pork loin on sale for $1.47a lb...( pork n sauerkraut time!) So I would like to grab some for CB. Also, pork shoulder picnic roast are .75¢ a lb.

Thanks again for your step by steps and have a happy new year!

Bear, I'm subbing to this thread now because Canadian bacon is in my near future.

Our local Weis has pork loin on sale for $1.47a lb...( pork n sauerkraut time!) So I would like to grab some for CB. Also, pork shoulder picnic roast are .75¢ a lb.

Thanks again for your step by steps and have a happy new year!
Did Similar.

When we got a couple Prime Ribs on sale ($5.99), Giant had Boneless Pork Loin for $0.99, so we got one whole Loin.

I cut a hunk off the big end for Mrs Bear's Crock Pot for New Year's Day Pork & Sauerkraut. Then I cut the rest in half & froze for TBD.

And a Happy New Year to you too!!

Bear

I have the two pieces of loin curing now.

Here's my question. One piece weighed 1 lb 14oz and another was 1lb 15 oz...I just used two level tablespoons TQ for each piece since they were shy of two pounds by 2 and 1 oz respectively. Is this anything to lose sleep over? I'm thinking it's okay but I just want to make sure.

Also, I used 4 tsp brown sugar for each piece.

I have the two pieces of loin curing now.

Here's my question. One piece weighed 1 lb 14oz and another was 1lb 15 oz...I just used two level tablespoons TQ for each piece since they were shy of two pounds by 2 and 1 oz respectively. Is this anything to lose sleep over? I'm thinking it's okay but I just want to make sure.

Also, I used 4 tsp brown sugar for each piece.
That's Great---No problem!!

TQ doesn't have to be near as accurate as Cure #1, because there is about 12.5 X less cure in 1 TBS of TQ than there is in 1 TBS of Cure #1.

It takes 1 ounce of Cure #1 to cure 25 pounds of meat.

It takes 12.5 ounces of TQ to cure 25 pounds of meat.

And the 4 tsp of brown sugar is good too (for about 2 pounds). I never measure the brown sugar. I just put a pile in a bowl, so I can grab somewhere between 1 tsp & 1 TBS per pound of meat, as close to 2 tsp as I can estimate.

Bear

That's Great---No problem!!
TQ doesn't have to be near as accurate as Cure #1, because there is about 12.5 X less cure in 1 TBS of TQ than there is in 1 TBS of Cure #1.

It takes 1 ounce of Cure #1 to cure 25 pounds of meat.
It takes 12.5 ounces of TQ to cure 25 pounds of meat.

And the 4 tsp of brown sugar is good too (for about 2 pounds). I never measure the brown sugar. I just put a pile in a bowl, so I can grab somewhere between 1 tsp & 1 TBS per pound of meat, as close to 2 tsp as I can estimate.

Bear

Thanks Bear and sorry for the late response. I figured I would be okay. My thinking was the little bit of extra TQ wouldn't hurt it, if this was cure #1 I would have been much more diligent.

The loins went in Sunday night (Jan. 1st). My earliest day off that I can smoke is the 11th but I think I'm going to smoke these bad boys on the 16th when I have more time, that's a 15 day rest which should be good.

Here's another question. How about rubbing a small amount of maple syrup on the loins the night before while in the fridge as it rests for the pellicle? I tried searching for anybody that did this.

Worth a try or don't bother? I'm thinking the sugar won't burn at the lower smoker temperature.

Thanks Bear and sorry for the late response. I figured I would be okay. My thinking was the little bit of extra TQ wouldn't hurt it, if this was cure #1 I would have been much more diligent. Exactly!

The loins went in Sunday night (Jan. 1st). My earliest day off that I can smoke is the 11th but I think I'm going to smoke these bad boys on the 16th when I have more time, that's a 15 day rest which should be good. That should be fine, but since you're Dry curing, make sure you do a Salt Fry Test before smoking, to see if you should soak it to eliminate extra salt flavor. The Dry curing with TQ is stronger than an equilibrium brine curing, and can absorb extra salt during those extra days in cure.

Here's another question. How about rubbing a small amount of maple syrup on the loins the night before while in the fridge as it rests for the pellicle? I tried searching for anybody that did this.

Worth a try or don't bother? I'm thinking the sugar won't burn at the lower smoker temperature. If you don't mind it being a little sticky, when you're slicing or heating before eating, that should be fine---It shouldn't burn at the temps used for CB.
Bear

Thanks again! I'll pass on the syrup, I figured it would absorb more into the meat but I could do without the tackiness.

I will get a thread going on it when I start. Or follow your nose an hour north.

Thanks again! I'll pass on the syrup, I figured it would absorb more into the meat but I could do without the tackiness.

I will get a thread going on it when I start. Or follow your nose an hour north.
Hour North?? 

Stroudsburg?

Poconos? Rt 402, Rt 209?

My old stomping grounds?

Bear

Luzerne County, Hazleton area...more commonly known as coal cracker country or ridge runner central..lol

Luzerne County, Hazleton area...more commonly known as coal cracker country or ridge runner central..lol
LOL---Yup---Coal Cracker.

Ridge runner goes from Hazleton all the way to at least Potter County.

I just wondered because you said an hour North, and I did the majority of my Life's Hunting & Fishing in Wayne & Pike County, but lived in Bucks & Lehigh.

Bear

Thanks sbishop,
I tried Real Maple Syrup, and this time I tried Dry Maple Sugar, and so far I have not gotten enough Maple flavor to be worth paying for the Syrup or Sugar.

Bear

Bear, old thread I know. I'm getting ready for another CB smoke and was lookin around on SMF for ideas. Thought I'd mention this to ya-use maple extract to boost the maple flavor. With Brown sugar, and maple extract, it's awesome. You'll have to play with the amount, but I start out @ 1 TBSP per whole loin. And it's cheaper than maple syrup or sugar but works much better! Just use the extract with brown sugar....

Bear, old thread I know. I'm getting ready for another CB smoke and was lookin around on SMF for ideas. Thought I'd mention this to ya-use maple extract to boost the maple flavor. With Brown sugar, and maple extract, it's awesome. You'll have to play with the amount, but I start out @ 1 TBSP per whole loin. And it's cheaper than maple syrup or sugar but works much better! Just use the extract with brown sugar....

Thanks Inda!!
I thought about that awhile back, but now I'm encouraged!

Bear

Hoping someone can answer this (probably stupid) question. I rubbed the loin with TQ and brown sugar and place it in the fridge yesterday. Do I need to drain the liquid from the bag today or leave it in there?

Thanks!
Thomas

Hoping someone can answer this (probably stupid) question. I rubbed the loin with TQ and brown sugar and place it in the fridge yesterday. Do I need to drain the liquid from the bag today or leave it in there?

Thanks!
Thomas

Sorry I'm late, Thomas!
Leave the juices in there.
That's the transportation method of the Cure you put it in.
The Dry cure can't move through meat---It has to dissolve & hitch a ride with those Meat Juices.
Sometimes a lot shows up & sometimes not so much, so don't worry about it.
Just keep flipping it every day.

Bear

Reactions: thomasrwise
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky