Can u add regular charcoal to a smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pandemonium

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
Florida
or does it have to burn for a little while before adding it in? i know when you use lighter fluid you have to let it burn off but am not sure about just adding it in

pandemonium,
when i start out I use charcoal and lighter fluid and let it cook down as if I were using it as a bbq grill, when they turn white I toss in my wood. When the wood and the rest of the coals cook down i toss in a few more hand fulls of charcoal to keep my temp set.

Yes you can as long as it isn't matchlight. The minion method uses the heat from lit charcoal spreading to unlit charcoal to extend the burn time. Basically the same result as adding charcoal. Of course it works better with lump charcoal but I've done it with brikets before and no problems.

yes not instant light i do have royal oak natural wood lump coal that i will use but wasn't sure about regular coal

try a charcoal lighter either electric or chimney. charcoal works great but loose the lighter fluid for sure!!!

Some folks can taste the charcoal lighting up on their finished food. As the unlits start to burn, they give off a heavy, sort of acrid smell. I can't taste it myself. To me, that means the differance between adding lits or unlits is very subtle, therefore I think you can safely try it both ways without ruining your meal. If you notice a differance, go with the way you prefer.

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

I can't believe I just read that!!!!

Throw away your lighter fluid (or give it to someone you don't like
icon_mrgreen.gif
) and get yourself one of these.

Use it for grilling as well.

Your taste buds will thank you.

Here is a link to a Weber one on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-87886-Ch.../dp/B00004U9VV

Dave

good move buying the chimney! DDave is right on the money with that advice -

also, what big steve said mirrors my observations and experience exactly.

You're going to really like it. I promise.
icon_mrgreen.gif

Only other thing I would recommend is don't use crumpled up newspaper to light the chimney. You'll have little bits of black ash floating everywhere. I take about 3 paper towels, drizzle a little bit of cooking oil on them (it doesn't take much), wad them up and place them in the bottom of the chimney lighter. Light it in a couple of places and you're set

Good luck.

Dave

Sure you can add charcoal to your fire as long as it's not that charcoal with fluid in it. I would if I were you invest in a chimmey.

I light my chimney(s) on my weber kettle throughout the length of the smoke. Usually have to add one every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. And to help get rid of mess I just tear a layer of an empty charcoal bag
biggrin.gif
- bags usually have 3 layers of paper, and you can tear off one layer at a time. You only need two pieces that wad up and fit under the chimney without overcrowding it. Keeps my recycling from filling up with charcoal bags!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I used to start my fire with briquets, but I don't even do that anymore. Anyway, for me it's all lump - and in yesterday's smoke, I didn't even add any of that! I started with a basker of lump with some hickory chunks, and as that burned I added splits of maple and cherry.

I just hand shred a couple strips of newspaper and lite those...works great.

2084094187_913841f2b7.jpg

But Dave is right, at times newspaper does send out bits of ash... no biggie tho.

(not me in the pic...LOL)

Tip for those who have Not used a Charcoal Chimney Yet.
You are in for a treat.

1. They will work way better than you think they will.

2. They will work way faster than you think they will. Faster even than those petroleum impregnated briquettes.

3. They need far less paper to light the charcoal than you think they will.

4. They will become more indispensable to you than you think they will.
A good thing.

5. They are better for the environment due to the non-use of petroleum products to light your fire.

6. I believe that the Chimneys are way safer than using a highly flammible liquid to light a fire.

7. Light a pile of coals with lighter fluid and the edges of only some of the briquettes get white and slowly start to burn before the fluid goes out. Use a Charcoal chimney and all the briquettes start to burn quickly and hotly. Every briquette will be ready to go. You won't have some totally ready and some still black and cold to the touch.

8. Knowing the above information you really have no excuse for not buying one. Even the stainless steel good one is quite cheap.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky