Can I smoke a brisket without trimming?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Texas Cookin'

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 28, 2019
If I smoke without trimming what problems will I run into? Thanks.

Fred

If I smoke without trimming what problems will I run into? Thanks.

Fred
I would think it would be excessively greasy. Then if you save any fridge or freezer it would congeal back into talo/fat. Not a good mouth feel or taste. Although I have not done a brisket without any trimming, I did find this result when I did not trim enough. Just my 2 cents.

Thin edges and corners will cook faster and overcook or burn.
Larger mass may take longer to cook.
Less rendering of thick fat cap
Less smoke and seasoning flavor on the meat under un-trimmed fat cap, and less bark too..
A .25" trimmed fat cap will render down and allow some smoke and seasoning flavor to infuse the meat, and more of a bark too.

Some folks trim thin edges and corners but either trim little to none of the fat cap.
It's a personal preference.

I always do some trimming, how much is a personal preference. At minimum remove all the hard fat, it won't render and inhibits the smoking. Your choice on the very thin part of the flat. I trim it off 'cause it will always be overcooked.

I watched a comparison YouTube video about trimming and no trim. It was a side by side and the results were no difference. The fat on the untrimmed brisket just pealed off after cooking, no burning, no real issues. I still trim a bit but have cut down a lot since watching that. I take the big chunk out between the flat and point and square up the flat but thats all, maybe 10 min work. Plus, is there is a really thick layer i may thin it out a bit but nothing much.

My opinion
Corey

Reactions: hecklar56
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky