Cabinet smoker...why reverse flow?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chp

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 30, 2020
Colorado
So a few months ago I bought a home built cabinet smoker. I had plans to convert it to a reverse flow. I even posted a few things with ideas. However, I have added inlet flow control with a ball valve and just finished a smoke with ribs. I even ran a quick biscuit test. Bottom line is that it seems to function well. Please don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying anything bad about reverse flow....but “if it ain’t broke, why fix it”.
So here are a few pictures-
BE1E8D70-8607-4A3C-B61A-3D72045EDAD0.jpeg

Just getting it loaded up with lump charcoal.
E234ACE4-4791-430C-8760-A062811EA88D.jpeg

Ran a biscuit test. I was happy with how even the heat was just a short time after start up. Yes, it’s a little cooler up top, but not too bad.
23BF9786-456A-4E4F-8510-1AA1C8DCBBC3.jpeg
Finishing up the ribs on a single run of the charcoal.

C364B98B-9A65-42E2-BF6D-873BDE84D033.jpeg

Very happy with the results!!
So the cabinet smoker seems to heat evenly, holds a temperature, and is very efficient with fuel. It doesn’t have the same smoke flavor that the stick fed offset has, but that’s a discussion of charcoal versus sticks (I think). So what do you all think is the reason to convert? Or would you leave it alone? Thanks for the feedback.

If you are very happy with the results that it produced then I suspect you will be pretty sad if you mess with it and end up less than very happy.

Reactions: chp
You are correct if it works well and produces good food then why mess with it and take the chance of screwing up how well it performs. I own a Lang reverse flow smoker but also a couple others that aren't reverse flow and they all work well. My point being they don't have to be a reverse flow to produce a great product

Reactions: chp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky