Botched Bologna with DanView

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

solaryellow

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 26, 2009
Orlando, FL
So I got a little envious of Dan and his awesome looking bologna and decided to make some myself. Following Dan's advice in chat I used Len Poli's recipe with a couple slight tweaks. We did this the same day we did the dry cured stuff and with everything going on I missed a step. Let's see if you can figure out what step it was that I missed.

So anyway, about to mix the seasoning in with the beef and pork mixture:

93f0b1e8_1217111352.jpg

Getting mixed up.

9d8fed7e_1217111341.jpg

From there it was stuffed into a 4" fibrous casing waiting for smoke. I decided to wait a few days so I could put it and the Lebanon Bologna into the smoker together. I hit it with 8 hours of cold smoke using hickory and cherry in the plywood smoker before finishing it in the oven. After the ice bath and blooming it went back into one of the garage fridges. First thing I did when I got home from work tonight was pull it out and cut off a slice. That is when I discovered the step I had missed. The flavor is excellent though!

f2c8ef5d_1221111811.jpg

c456adc4_1221111810.jpg

I can definitely see why Dan uses this same recipe for hot dogs. I plan to make some more in the future.

And now for DanView.

f98bc70a_1221111809.jpg

Last edited:
Either:  you forgot to mail me a slice or forgot the cure....   everything else looks perfect... Dave 

I did forget to send you a slice Dave but that wasn't the step I missed. And I did not miss adding cure.
icon_wink.gif

LOL you nailed it there Joel
laugh1.gif

biggrin.gif
I have been chuckling to myself about posting DanView for the past few days. I tried to explain it to the Mrs. when she asked what was so funny. I got that "You're an idiot." look in return.

Looks like you missed the emulsification part..

Just a guess tho..

Looks tasty anyway.

Dans hot dog recipe looks like a winner.

Craig

Looks like you missed the emulsification part..

Just a guess tho..

Looks tasty anyway.

Dans hot dog recipe looks like a winner.

Craig

Bingo! I did miss the emulsification step. The texture is a little off for those who might consider themselves bologna afficionados but the flavor is very much there.

Bingo! I did miss the emulsification step. The texture is a little off for those who might consider themselves bologna afficionados but the flavor is very much there.
Whether you missed the emulsification step or not, it does look good! 
drool.gif

I've decided in the future to no longer use a food processor to emulsify the meats I'm using for franks, fine-ground wurst & the like, but instead doing a second ultra-fine grind (3.0mm) after I've mixed the initial ingredients & had them rest for a while. Much easier, no additional liquid to add, less mess= less clean-up, and I've been quite happy with the results= smooth, even texure.

Bologna is next on the list!

—Kevin

Last edited:
Whether you missed the emulsification step or not, it does look good! 
drool.gif

I've decided in the future to no longer use a food processor to emulsify the meats I'm using for franks, fine-ground wurst & the like, but instead doing a second ultra-fine grind (3.0mm) after I've mixed the initial ingredients & had them rest for a while. Much easier, no additional liquid to add, less mess= less clean-up, and I've been quite happy with the results= smooth, even texure.

Bologna is next on the list!

—Kevin

Where did you find the ultra fine plate??

Craig

Emulsified is tough to do and a lot of work.  I am still working on it, but haven't found the easy way with limited equipment.

Hard to tell from your pic but it looks close?  I have gotten close.  Flavor fine, texture a little off.  Even our less than perfect attempts can be pretty darn good stuff.

Good job.

Good luck and good smoking.

I think it looks awesome, I recently made weiners and I was think of skipping emulsification on the next go round...

A while back I found a stick of Hebrew National bologna on sale where I get alot of the meat  cuts I use, so I bought it and when I started slicing it I was surprised to see that it was NOT emulsified, and it looked exactly like your picture

I usually grind 3 or 4 times through the fine plate and it makes it fine enough to enjoy but not as mushy as emulsification; Try to get away from the baby blob they call hot dogs today!  

Last edited:
This is where a hobart buffalo chopper comes in handy if ya have a spare $1,700 sitting around.

Looks good

icon_cool.gif

I think it looks great to me Joel. Now you nailed the Dan-view part.

Thanks for the compliments guys! Had to go check and make sure it still tasted good.
biggrin.gif

321363fd_1221112332.jpg

Turns out that yes it is still good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky