Black Pepper Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

potsieko

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 1, 2017
St. Amant, LA
Started with a 10 lb belly from Costco, rinsed and cut in half. Soaked in Pop's brine for 2 weeks - patted dry and placed in the fridge for a couple days. Coated with black pepper, smoked over hickory wood with a kiss of cherry and red oak for 8 hours, starting at 125* and working up to 165* to an IT of 130*. Pulled out the smoke shack and cooled outside for a few hours. Bloomed in the fridge for a couple days and hand sliced. Fried up the edges, but forgot to snap a pic....guess I was too consumed in the goodness I was eating!

IMG_0568.JPG
IMG_0570.jpg
IMG_0571.jpg
IMG_0575.jpg
IMG_0576.jpg
IMG_0577.JPG

Thanks everyone! This is only my second belly to transform into bacon, but the results are amazing if you follow directions. After gifting a few packs, it looks as though I should pick up another belly and start the process all over, again! ( I'm not complaining, BTW )

I also smoked some tasso IMG_0557.jpg ,

venison sausage IMG_0542.jpg

and venison snack sticks IMG_0541.JPG

- but didn't take enough pics to compose a thread. I've got a few buddies wanting more snack sticks, so I'll be making more soon - and I'll remember to take ample pictures.

Last edited:
Now that looks really good to me. Nice Job.

Point for sure.
Chris

Fantastic looking bacon & you certainly have some serious knife skills!
Great job on the slicing & congrats on making the carousel!!
Al

Reactions: potsieko
That looks great. I got 12 lbs of belly curing right now. It is going in the smoker Sunday as we are having a break in the weather. Hope mine turns out as well as yours.. :emoji_sunglasses:

Great looking bacon man! I did two bellies right before Christmas and the black pepper slabs were the best by far.

Wish I had the patience to cut bacon by hand that good!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky