Birthday Grilled Pizza's w pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Or any ideas for a good brand sauce to purchase? Firing from the hip here.

I thought sure I had it written down and saved but apparently i don't. Here is a batch I made last Saturday when my prime rib plans got rained out and we decided on pizza. I'll do my best to replicate it on paper for you.
001.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

We didn't have everything I typically use so kinda shot from the hip on this and it turned out to be the best batch I've made. I didn't measure anything so I'm just guessing here.

1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes
1 can stewed tomatoes
2 whole Roma tomatoes
1 T minced garlic
1 T dried minced onion
2 t oregano
1 t basil
1 t crushed red pepper
1 t paprika
1/2 t salt
1/2 t black pepper
1/4 t cayenne

That's pretty much everything I used. Not having written anything down I kept the quantities here on the low end. You may want to adjust based on personal taste. Just throw it all into a blender and let 'er rip. I portion mine out in small plastic tubs and put in the freezer to have on hand for future use. It's easy to make and WAY better than anything out of a can or jar.

Best of luck!!
Robert

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
I thought sure I had it written down and saved but apparently i don't. Here is a batch I made last Saturday when my prime rib plans got rained out and we decided on pizza. I'll do my best to replicate it on paper for you.
View attachment 440374
View attachment 440375
View attachment 440376

We didn't have everything I typically use so kinda shot from the hip on this and it turned out to be the best batch I've made. I didn't measure anything so I'm just guessing here.

1 can stewed tomatoes
2 whole Roma tomatoes
1 T minced garlic
1 T dried minced onion
2 t oregano
1 t basil
1 t crushed red pepper
1 t paprika
1/2 t salt
1/2 t black pepper
1/4 t cayenne

That's pretty much everything I used. Not having written anything down I kept the quantities here on the low end. You may want to adjust based on personal taste. Just throw it all into a blender and let 'er rip. I portion mine out in small plastic tubs and put in the freezer to have on hand for future use. It's easy to make and WAY better than anything out of a can or jar.

Best of luck!!
Robert
I will give that a shot ..thanks

Wasn't sure exactly where to put this so mod's feel free to move as necessary.

As some of y'all know yesterday was my birthday. My wife kept asking what I wanted to do. When I told her I wanted to stay home and cook something instead of going out and spending a fortune on a mediocre dinner at an overpriced restaurant she once again thought I was crazy but happily obliged.

I have been doing a ton of research and reading lately on cooking pizza outdoors. Never done it and have been on a quest to figure out the best way to do this. Oven pizza just isn't doing it for me anymore and most of the quality of delivery pizza has gone downhill. This past weekend I had settled on the idea of using my 17" lodge cast iron on my gas grill. Well I ran out of time and didn't have the time to make dough and the store only had 2 frozen ball dough's which wasn't enough so that plan got put on hold. I was at Home Depot on Sunday and they happed to have Nexgrill grill pizza kits on clearance for $15 so I picked up two of them. Not the greatest quality but hey its worth a shot.They came with a stone, a peel, a wheel, and a stone rack. Next plan in place...cooking them on the stones on my gas grill.

I put the two stones on my grill to start heating up.
View attachment 429485

I wanted to try out a test pizza first as I wasn't sure how this was going to go. Rolled out some dough and just cheese on this one. Sprinkled some corn meal on the stone. Took maybe 8-10 minutes at 500ish.
View attachment 429486

Not bad but the crust was a little burnt on the bottom. Next round I will rotate around a little more.

Let build up a couple more. First off just a plain old pepperoni pizza.
View attachment 429487

Lets load one up. Flattened the crust as much as I could trying to get a "thin crust". Pesto sauce as the base, sliced mozzarella, tomatoes, turkey pepperoni, red onions, green peppers, spinach, and feta cheese. Sprinkled a little shredded mozzarella on top.
View attachment 429488

Toss em on the stones running 550 or so.
View attachment 429489

Much better this time around. Sorry for the darkish pictures.
View attachment 429490
View attachment 429491

Here is a pepperoni and bacon pizza just finishing up.
View attachment 429492

Enough playing around. Time to load one up with some heat. Sauce, habaneros, jalapenos, green peppers, red onions, pepperoni, and feta cheese.
View attachment 429493

Here it is cooking.
View attachment 429494

And the finished shot.
View attachment 429495

All in all this was a pretty fun experiment for a birthday dinner. The pizzas were not perfect by any means but weren't bad either. The crusts got a little crispy but the whole pizza had incredible flavor that you cant get in an oven.

The one thing I noticed is the dome just didn't get as hot as I had hoped. The two pizzas with several toppings on them I had to finish under the broiler in the oven. The crusts were getting too done and the top not quite there. Kettle pizza sells a kit for a gas grill but $250 for a piece of sheet metal with a $5 thermometer in it isn't going to fly. Until I get my BGE my quest will continue.

Thanks for checking it out. If you have any tips or suggestions I am an open book right now!

John
Beautiful

View attachment 440374
View attachment 440375
View attachment 440376

1 can stewed tomatoes
2 whole Roma tomatoes
1 T minced garlic
1 T dried minced onion
2 t oregano
1 t basil
1 t crushed red pepper
1 t paprika
1/2 t salt
1/2 t black pepper
1/4 t cayenne

Best of luck!!
Robert

Robert, old pal,
I see a lot of good sized pieces of something green in your pics, but nothing on the list that could be that. Some type of Green Pepper---Hot? Sweet?

Thanks,
Bear

I see a lot of good sized pieces of something green in your pics, but nothing on the list that could be that. Some type of Green Pepper---Hot? Sweet?

That's just green bell pepper. Personally I could do without them on a pizza but Tracy loves them so I just pick them off of mine. Love green peppers in other things but for some reason they just don't work for me on pizza.

That's just green bell pepper. Personally I could do without them on a pizza but Tracy loves them so I just pick them off of mine. Love green peppers in other things but for some reason they just don't work for me on pizza.

OK---Gracias, Mi Amigo!!

Bear

I might or might not have ordered a pizza kit for my grill which should arrive this weekend. Been researching all of this since I made these pizza's back in January and finally made a decision. Very similar to the kettle pizza pro for a gas grill. Fingers crossed it does the job!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky