Birds been on for 3hrs and its saying its done, help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

snot00011

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 5, 2013
Seattle
I put a 15lbs bird in an MES 30 and at the 3hrs mark its reading 165 in the breast. I feel like that went way faster then it should. Can anyone help.

15429155061226554062432733462132.jpg

Check several spots on the bird. Breast 165 done (i'd probe at leas 3 spots), deepest in the thigh over 165-170 done. If they are all over it's safe to eat. Higher in the leg/thigh is more palatable but still safe.3hrs isn't out of sight depending on the temp you ran.

Reactions: snot00011
Something sure isn't right. The MES max temp is 275 and there is no way a 15 pound bird can cook to 160 in three hours at that temp. I'd expect at least double that time.

First, check how hot your MES is getting.

Second, try an instant read thermometer (if you have one) to double check your probe.

Third, re-insert the probe somewhere else. If you hit a bone or if you have it inserted too far or too shallow, it will read incorrectly. The point of the probe should be as near to the center of the breast as you can get it.

Finally, do the old-fashioned test by wiggling the legs and wings. They should be really loose and the meat should be pulling away from the bone a little bit. Your bird has a beautiful color, but the drumsticks don't appear to have shrunk much.

Reactions: snot00011
I used my insta and its reading 133 to 142 in the breast. Thank all I was freaking out.

Check your probes in boiling water! May be a bad probe?? Also, I'd use one probe to keep track of your chamber temp... My MES is off by as much as 20*. I never go by what the MES says, I go by my probe for chamber temp!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky