Upside down Turkey smoke for T-day, anyone done it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kilohertz

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 29, 2022
Vernon, BC Canada
Thanksgiving is coming up and I want to try something different. I have the PB820 pellet smoker and want to try cooking the T-day bird upside down on the smoker. My thought it the back has all the fat in it, and when cooked breast up, the fat just sits in the bottom and runs out into the pan. Why not do what we do with briskets and pork shoulders and put the fat on top so it runs over and bastes the meat below, in this case the very lean breast meat. I think I have a rib rack or fish holder that could be used to keep the bird upright. The convection action of the smoker will help make a crispy skin.

Anyone tried this or is this me being too "Muppet Labs" in the smoker world.

Cheers

My biggest fear would be the skin sticking to the grate and not releasing cleanly. I like to brine or inject and occasionally baste the turkey. So I've only done them breast side up. Let us know how it goes if you give it a go.

Chris

Don't know if it would work either... but if you're gonna try it I would do it before T day so your Thanksgiving meal isn't disappointing and you'll then know if it works or not. Also, are you planning on it being carved at the table, or gonna carve it before hand.

Ryan

Thanks for the thoughts, I hadn't thought of skin sticking to the grates. I could rig up a rotisserie rod on 2 end racks, bricks etc so the bird would hang upside, not touching the grates.

I have some time to play with it, I'll post pics when I get it sorted.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: Redicans
I cut turkeys and chickens in half at the pelvis because the breast needs to come off the smoker at 156° or so, but the dark meat is better in the 180°s.
D7uQeGt.jpg

I have read about roasting breast down but haven't tried it, I say it's worth a test run imo.

Basting/fat on top is a myth, sorry. Spatch or do like me and go one extra step and halve. More even cooking temps and all parts done at same time. That said, for the ultimate TG turkey: cure in Pops low salt, net, and smoke like 16-18hrs (see avatar)

Thanksgiving is coming up and I want to try something different. I have the PB820 pellet smoker and want to try cooking the T-day bird upside down on the smoker. My thought it the back has all the fat in it, and when cooked breast up, the fat just sits in the bottom and runs out into the pan. Why not do what we do with briskets and pork shoulders and put the fat on top so it runs over and bastes the meat below, in this case the very lean breast meat. I think I have a rib rack or fish holder that could be used to keep the bird upright. The convection action of the smoker will help make a crispy skin.

Anyone tried this or is this me being too "Muppet Labs" in the smoker world.

Cheers
Years ago, my wife found an online supermarket recipe for roasting a turkey upside down in an oven. That's the only way she cooks it. The only hassle is turning it over right side up about halfway through the roast so that the top of the bird browns and cooks as well. Depending on the weight of the turkey and the strength of your muscles, you might need some help with this maneuver. What the upside down cooking does is help cook the dark meat and bottom of the turkey to the proper temp. She cooks hers in a turkey roaster placed low in the oven.

Are you going to cook it at 325°? I don't have a pellet smoker but as long as air drafts and temp swings aren't issues this might be the best turkey you've ever smoked.

Reactions: kilohertz
Are you going to cook it at 325°? I don't have a pellet smoker but as long as air drafts and temp swings aren't issues this might be the best turkey you've ever smoked.

I'm planning on about 275* for an hour or so, see how the temp climb is, then bump to 325* to finish. Nice thing about the pellet smoker is it's like a convection oven as the fan is quite strong and moves the air around so it's evenly cooked and should make a crispy skin. It's supposed to be a nice weekend with temps into the 20's so cold drafts won't be an issue. I may even stuff a Habanero and onion into the cavity for a little extra Umami.

It's going to be fun no matter what. Just me, my son and his girlfriend, buffet style load up your plates in the kitchen and chow down, small, nothing fancy, just good food.

cheers

I spatchcock then cut and separate the leg/thigh half from the breast half. Put the leg/thigh half closer to the heat and pull the halves individually when done. Doesn't make for a pretty picture but does make some good turkey.

Myth ??? 15.5 pounder on my WSM
Chris
Beautiful bird Chris! Yes myth. Same as beer can chicken. I knew I that would ruffle some feathers LOL Spatch whole hang rotis upside down all are just thermal things. Similar to misting basting water pan beer can. None will get little IF ANY moisture into the meat. Brining is really the key to low fat protein like turkey along with pulling at proper IT.

Reactions: gmc2003
Z I know basting isn't going to add much moisture to the bird, but it's how I get the color I desire. The moisture I get is from basting under the skin when the bird first goes on the smoker, and of course injecting the bird prior to cooking. So I wouldn't call it a total myth.

Chris

Reactions: zwiller
I did parts similar to 3rd eye for a very long time, but then a couple of years ago I started doing some experiments with whole bird cooking and discovered a little trick to get the highly desired Normon Rockwell bird that is properly cooked.......

The little secret is to remove 1/3 of the backbone to allow for air flow through the chest cavity.
thankgivingBird2.jpeg

This allows for the breast to come up to temp faster as it is the thickest point......

Next I "roast" it at 325, this is a 20lbr after 3.5 hours (Yup thats it!)...... note the trussing for presentation and to keep the drums a bit closer to the bird body for even cooking.
thankgivingBird.jpeg

The above results speak for themselves......This is when I pulled it to rest in the house oven @ 145 till all the sides were done......
thankgivingBird3.jpeg

We always cook our turkeys upside down. We flip them toward the end to brown them ( 30 to 45min depending on the bird). We use a rib rack. No problem with the skin sticking if you spray the rack with a little Pam. You're right about the bird self basting upside down.

Happy Thanksgiving

Reactions: kilohertz
That's cool, do you have any other pictures you could share of how you cut them?

Thanks

I like this idea. Will have to try! This is why I love this site, Always cool ideas popping up!
After cutting your first one, you will be an expert. Start off with the bird breast up. Cut the skin only between the leg and the breast, then continue down the thigh. This will expose the pelvis and a short section of the backbone. Pick up the bird and crack the backbone, then finish off the cut with a knife and tidy up with some scissors. If you want, you can also use scissors to remove the backbone and ribs.
CePQpfM.jpg

msuJYIJ.jpg

pFST87N.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky