Billbo's world famous dry rub & BBQ sauce recipe's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Billbo's world famous dry rub & BBQ sauce recipe's

BILLbo Must say that your sause is out of this world. I've made many many BBQ sause finaly thought I had mine the way I wanted. But still not what I wanted on my chiken wings. So I made a batch of your sause and WOW BBQ chinken wings to my delite.  Alsome!!!!!! Had to make another batch. I used two  jalapeno peppers and still mild heat. maybe leave the seeds in next time for a little more heat. Thanks again for sharing.
beercheer.gif

first.gif

Thank you for sharing the recipe! I tried it last night. I reduced the molasses to 1 cup and increased the spicy yellow mustard to 1/3 cup. The sauce was a hit! I would definitely make it again.

Making a batch of this as I type. It tastes awesome with just all the ingredients mixed together cold, it's going to be killer after 4 hours on the stove. Of course I had to add some bourbon to the mix
yahoo.gif

Making a batch of this as I type. It tastes awesome with just all the ingredients mixed together cold, it's going to be killer after 4 hours on the stove. Of course I had to add some bourbon to the mix
yahoo.gif
Hey Brandon,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm a huge fan of Bilbo's rub and a huge fan of bourbon but I never thought of combining the two. What exactly did you do? It sounds awesome!

Hey Brandon,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm a huge fan of Bilbo's rub and a huge fan of bourbon but I never thought of combining the two. What exactly did you do? It sounds awesome!
Hi, Thanks! I added 1/4th cup of bourbon to the bbq sauce as it simmered on the stove for 4hrs, it's really great! The rub is awesome too, I'm using it on some chicken tonight. Cheers. 
icon14.gif

Reactions: tykenn28
I haven't tried the rub yet but the sauce is awesome. Sweetness at first with a mild kick at the back definitely not to hot. I took notes and pictures that could qualify as Qview even though it's stove top, It is Q sauce. I forced myself to stick to the recipe as presented at least the first time and was very pleased.

Thanks for sharing Billbo.

First the notes as written to myself.

Five tbsp. garlic.

Next time have a whole bulb on hand. I had only half and had to use crappy jar stuff to make up the difference.

Not sure if EVOO is necessary for sautéing.

@168* starting to get some bubbles

@175* getting thinner due to heat.

@195* just under simmer.

Took an hour and a half to get to 195*. Lightly bubbling foamy look but no popping or splattering.

Hit 200* seemed to high started popping to much.

Took an hour to get back to 195* seems perfect.

Now for pics.

Onions and Green peppers.

Three tbsp. fresh and two tbsp. jar Garlic for one minute.

165*

195*

Showing off my newly acquired Griswald #777A 3 1/2 quart pan nearly 11 inches across and 3 1/4 inches deep. It wasn't even seasoned yet.

25 cents at a garage sale!

The sauce is done and very tasty.

I suggest using a screen.

Thanks again Billbo

Scott

Last edited:
As today looked like being pants, a trip down the local supermarket got me all I needed for making a batch of Billbo's World Famous BBQ Sauce.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/77564/billbos-world-famous-dry-rub-bbq-sauce-recipes

Having read the thread it looked like a good bet. I could not believe how much Garlic is in this, it took three whole bulbs, these were big organic one's, as the basic one's looked like they had been dug up with King Tut. About 75-80 grams in total.

I put the onion, green pepper and the garlic through a small food processor to get evenly sized small chunks before adding them to the pot.
Be real careful when starting off, it is way to easy to burn the onions and then the garlic if you don't watch it. If you do, bin it and start again, the bitter taste will only ruin the rest of the sauce.
Once you are happy that the garlic is cooked out, really, only 1 minute, then add the tomato sauce. Over here I used a good quality Passata. (2X 500ml). I put all the other ingredients into a large ceramic jug and gave it a good stir before adding to the pot, it just saves messing about measuring individual ingredients into the pot.
After that put it on the smallest burner or hob plate you have and on the lowest setting, just as in the post. Again if you put too much heat in, it will burn the sugars onto the bottom of the pan, and it will create black flecks in the sauce. Then stir every 20 mins at the minimum.
Using a bloody big saucepan will stop it sticking to every surface within three feet, it bubbles like a lava pool in a volcano. Failing that stick one of those mesh screens on top, the good lady might let you keep the tenor voice.

I can only say it smells amazing, the house smells awesome.
I wimpped out and didn't put anywhere near as much Tabasco in, but there was a couple of good shakes! I also added a 1/4 cup of a well known Bourbon, and 2 tablespoons of Cointreau. I have done this with other sauces I have made and it gives a lovely depth of flavour.

It's now been on the go since three o'clock and the last stir should do it. Iam going to let it cool over night with a lid on and bottle it into well washed old sauce and mayo bottles tomorrow morning. These get a teaspoon of water in them and twenty seconds in the microwave, this should sterilise them.
I reckon a bacon butty with the new batch of sauce should be an adequate test.

Wow, you get the sweet flavours first, then garlic-onion, then the lemon-vinegar and it finishes with a little bit of heat. Love it.

Cheers Billbo, you should be proud of this.

Last edited:
That sauce sound great and not dissimilar to the one I make. One tip. Ditch the liquid smoke, and smoke the actual sauce for 4 hours in an aluminum pan. No substitute for real smoke flavor. That's how I do mine, and it's killer.

I've got this on the stove right now (I got a little bit of a late start since I was grilling earlier today and didn't want to split my time).  So far it tastes very, very good.  I can't wait to try this on some chicken this weekend!!!

As blasphemous as it probably sounds there were a few modifications I did as I wanted it smoother:  after the initial sauté of veggies I puréed them in a blender to even out the consistency with the rest of the liquids.  I also had a batch of my own ketchup I make from scratch and used that instead of the store bought kind.  I think that means I'll have it less sweet (the store kind has high fructose corn syrup in it) and possibly a little less vinegar as well.  We'll see how much it affects the overall flavor.

I think in subsequent batches I'll also likely try using a few more types of peppers and powders.  I was dying to use some ancho and chipotle powders as well as bring some additional layers of flavor with some guajillos as well.  But before making any major modifications I need to taste the final result.  Then I'll slowly modify one ingredient at a time.

Thank you so very much for sharing the recipe and I promise to share my final results as well (although that will likely be years from now).

I've got this on the stove right now (I got a little bit of a late start since I was grilling earlier today and didn't want to split my time).  So far it tastes very, very good.  I can't wait to try this on some chicken this weekend!!!

As blasphemous as it probably sounds there were a few modifications I did as I wanted it smoother:  after the initial sauté of veggies I puréed them in a blender to even out the consistency with the rest of the liquids.  I also had a batch of my own ketchup I make from scratch and used that instead of the store bought kind.  I think that means I'll have it less sweet (the store kind has high fructose corn syrup in it) and possibly a little less vinegar as well.  We'll see how much it affects the overall flavor.

I think in subsequent batches I'll also likely try using a few more types of peppers and powders.  I was dying to use some ancho and chipotle powders as well as bring some additional layers of flavor with some guajillos as well.  But before making any major modifications I need to taste the final result.  Then I'll slowly modify one ingredient at a time.

Thank you so very much for sharing the recipe and I promise to share my final results as well (although that will likely be years from now).
I ended up getting too tired to babysit it so I threw it in the slow cooker.  This means I did the initial sauté/purée and added all of the ingredients, then ~2 hours on the stovetop just under a simmer, and finished with 7 hours in a slow cooker on low.

The final result is damn good.  The sweetness I was concerned with mellowed out and I'm finally going to have a chance to grill this weekend.  Thanks for the recipe Bilbo!  

First time smoker here on a Traeger TexLE.  Smoked St. Louis ribs for the 4th using the original recipe and and spicy version( 2 jalepenos and substituted Franks for Cayenne Pepper, for the spicy lovers in my family.  The perfect blend of sweetness and spiciness.  Most said I was crazy to smoke ribs as a first timer, but I'm a risk taker, not to mention a Google addict.  The family loved them, so this will be our goto.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky