Best snack stick casings? More tender....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forgiven1

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 28, 2016
Hi all,

I would like to make snack sticks that are like the old school kind you used to get from a gas station. They were loose in a bin and DRY. Inside and out, not greasy or soft. You would not even notice the casing on these accept that they had a twisted end you could see.

I bough these and they are terrible.

They are like eating plastic. The good thing is since they are so tough I can peel them off in one piece most of the time LOL!

Do you guys know where I can get some casings that are better?

Reactions: geostriata
I dont know about anyone else but I have had the same problems with collagen casing that say they are for smoking. I use the ones for "fresh sausage" in the smoker with no problems. Also you could try a sheep casing. The ones I have seen in the gas station like what you described look to me like they are a natural sheep casing.

18-20 sheep casing is what I use...might be bigger then what you're use to but they are tender.
They do shrink down a couple mm's so not much bigger then store bought

Reactions: chopsaw
Thank you both for the suggestions!

danmcg, for the 18-20mm sheep casings what size tube do you use? I was able to get the 19mm raw hide ones on my .6" but it was not easy.

Sheep casings are a game changer . I never bought them because of the comments on how hard they are to use .
Bought some , and store them wet in salted water . Slide right on the tube . I use the same as Dan . 1/2 " stainless .
Makes a big difference .
20190312_093049.jpg

I have my first sticks on deck but I have seen a number of comments that there needs to be a drying stage before smoking. Not sure if you did that. Kinda reminds me of the issue with poultry skin so it makes sense. I got mine at Butcher Packer and reviews were good. I also remember guys saying to avoid Amazon etc and stick with reputable sources for casings.

I don't mind sharing my process. First I blend the meat and cure plus seasonings. Mix in the mixer for about 8-10 minutes or till full protein extraction (meat goop) is achieved. Stuff the casings and leave them uncovered in the fridge over night for the cure to work.

Place in smoker at 90 deg with a fan blowing into the lower port for an hour and then start smoking. Increase temp 10 degrees every hour till I hit 170. Finished IT is 152 for me.

I did not ice bath them when they were done as I was hoping they would shrivel up some like the sticks I remember. Didn't really work out that way. A few of the sticks I know for sure were not quite stuffed all the way (probly where I had to refill the stuffer) but even the ones that were full have the same plasticy casing issue.

They are like eating plastic.
I am using 19mm and 21mm collagen casing from TSM relatively often for hot dogs and beef sticks and you are right: they are not really eatable - they are very chewy... When I eat my Hot dogs I just peel the casing off and this works for me. The only positive side using collagen casing from my point of view it's extremely easy to work with comparing the sheep casing, which is PITA. On the other hand sheep casing is more enjoyable to eat... :emoji_wink:

Some much for the drying idea... The more I get into sausage the more confused I get. I didn't think you could smoke sheep casings and thought they would break.

So much for the drying idea..
You have it right . He dried at 90 degrees for an hour . Gets the condensate off the outside so the smoke penetrates . I do 110 for couple hours , just depends .

Filling them with ground meat - on the other hand - is PITA....
I've had good luck with them . I was surprised . If I get one that won't open ,,, I snip the end and try again . If it's a no go ,,, good bye . I get another .
I'm using 22 mm to 28 mm so maybe that makes a difference ?

Reactions: zwiller
For those that say Sheep/ lamb casings are a bitch to work with need to read Joe's guide on how to handle natural casings.
Here's the link;
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/how-to-handle-natural-casings.159729/
My method is very similar, only after rehydrating the casings I store them in a 10% solution of salt/water.
Try Joe's method and you'll never complain about working with a casing again.

Those old time snack sticks in a jar like you described are made by a fermentation process which is totally different from how we make them normally. It's a longer combination of smoking and drying in a controlled environment. NEPAS has made some that way, but it's a lot more time and effort consuming than "regular" snack sticks or dehydrated jerky.

You can still buy the bacteria needed for fermentation and the cure (cure #2, not #1), but there is a lot more to the process. Google fermented snack sticks and you will get an idea.

I remember in the 70's we had a Swiss Colony store at the mall when it opened. They had these long dried fermented sticks that came in 3' ropes folded over. I used to love those things - totally shelf stable and no refrigeration needed. Dang near impossible to find those types of sticks anymore, and a PIA to make yourself.

Those old time snack sticks in a jar like you described are made by a fermentation process which is totally different from how we make them normally. It's a longer combination of smoking and drying in a controlled environment. NEPAS has made some that way, but it's a lot more time and effort consuming than "regular" snack sticks or dehydrated jerky.

You can still buy the bacteria needed for fermentation and the cure (cure #2, not #1), but there is a lot more to the process. Google fermented snack sticks and you will get an idea.

I remember in the 70's we had a Swiss Colony store at the mall when it opened. They had these long dried fermented sticks that came in 3' ropes folded over. I used to love those things - totally shelf stable and no refrigeration needed. Dang near impossible to find those types of sticks anymore, and a PIA to make yourself.

Ahhhhrr :( and LOL. I've had those ropes as well, as recently as 90s to maybe even early 2000s. A genuine beef stick is as hard to come by as a wild blue unicorn. I have to say I'm glad you told me about the fermented sticks. I was working under the assumption that the new squishy sticks being sold were just the good old sticks that had not been dried enough. I'm really not sure I can afford to take on the fermented ones yet. Although my love for them will eventually drive me to it...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky